Cyber Q Wifi now available

Ordered...may have a Cyber Q II for sale if I like this one better. :grin:

802.11b? I wonder how the range is going to be on that. I don't even have "b" enabled on my Linksys e3000. Being from the BBQ Guru guys, I'm sure it all works as advertised; that "b" spec just kinda jumped out at me as odd. Is the Stoker also wireless b?

802.11b isn't that big of a deal...range for A/B/G are all within 10 feet of each other. The main thing you gain with G and now N is bandwidth - which isn't that critical for a simple web app to see temps on a controller - IMO. I agree though, not sure why they went with B on a new device. I am sure there was a logical reason.

I imagine B spec is cheaper (parts wise) since it is old tech. And like Joe said, the range is very similar and only bandwidth is effected (which is irrelevant for this application).

Now, can I access my the Cyber Q from my iPhone while at work or will I have to be on the safe WIFI network?

Now, can I access my the Cyber Q from my iPhone while at work or will I have to be on the safe WIFI network?

I downloaded the User Guide and you should be able to access it via the internet with some minor port forwarding configuration changes on your access point.

With the higher frequency of wireless N it would allow the cyberq to be further away from the router with more obstacles in the way. With wireless b and my town home having solid walls for sound proofing and the location of my router in my house, wireless b's limitations would come into play. I guess in my situation I could get the regular cyberq and get a wireless n bridge. More wires and another ac adapter though. Or move my router. Sigh.

yes, you can if you have a static ip..
If you don't you can always open a free account with no-ip.com or dnsdynamic.org. and forward port 80 on your router...
I use dyn.com, 20 bucks/year now (used to be free)

Still, it's only $100 more than the digiQ.

I think I might order one. There really aren't that many less-expensive options, are there?

I've been reading the .pdf manual, and I'm liking what I am reading.

Last edited:
I've been reading the .pdf manual, and I'm liking what I am reading.

Specifically?

I've never owned one of these devices, and I'm trying to justify the cost.

I'm trying to decide if this is overkill for my large BGE. I don't do any comps or anything. Just food for the family.

Maybe the iQue110 is a better buy.

Been checking the status on the cyberQ and Stoker ATC system, ever since I saw one on YouTube. Never really thought I would want one, but cooking pork butts or other overnight cooks. I feel as I never get sleep and when I do plan for a weekend cook, it rains... Never fails. This would help me if I ever got called into work (on call) for a few hrs. Not to mention if I had to run some errands or other stuff. Heck, I can even start early before work and check the temps during work for a nice BBQ dinner. $400 is a little steep and perhaps overkill, but over time, the flexibility, options, ease and extra sleep over the long haul would pay for itself.

I "almost" gave up hope on the cyberQ due to all the "coming out next week" e-mails.

Then again, if I do get one and my wife finds out how much I paid for it... Who will pay my hospital bill????

Been checking the status on the cyberQ and Stoker ATC system, ever since I saw one on YouTube. Never really thought I would want one, but cooking pork butts or other overnight cooks. I feel as I never get sleep and when I do plan for a weekend cook, it rains... Never fails. This would help me if I ever got called into work (on call) for a few hrs. Not to mention if I had to run some errands or other stuff. Heck, I can even start early before work and check the temps during work for a nice BBQ dinner. $400 is a little steep and perhaps overkill, but over time, the flexibility, options, ease and extra sleep over the long haul would pay for itself.

I "almost" gave up hope on the cyberQ due to all the "coming out next week" e-mails.

Then again, if I do get one and my wife finds out how much I paid for it... Who will pay my hospital bill????

Sounds familiar. I usually like to buy something that will last, and won't need replacing. The price delta between the ique and the CyberQ wifi is huge, tho.

The price delta between the ique and the CyberQ wifi is huge, tho.

There is a huge difference between what they can do also.
If you can sit and watch a cooker for several hrs, you probably don't need one.
If being able to control/monitor it from a remote location is of interest,then you might need one.
I THINK I NEED ONE.
:)
jon

There is a huge difference between what they can do also.
If you can sit and watch a cooker for several hrs, you probably don't need one.
If being able to control/monitor it from a remote location is of interest,then you might need one.
I THINK I NEED ONE.
:)
jon

I am known to use the word "need" very liberally.

Back