View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Oakysmoker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

There are some selling them for $150 on CL and on Ebay. How-some-ever.....my own personal experience is that $150 is a reasonable price..... for a very basic drum. Honestly, I don't know if there is a market there or not. Would they crank out some good eats? No doubt. Just don't know what the market is for bare bone basic drum smokers.

I know that my UDS builds have cost me more than that...but they are more than just basic. My goal was to build a backyard smoker that is easy to operate, will crank out good Q, last a long time and look like it belongs in the yard.

Still, there may well be a market for the lowest priced UDS and basic features. Who knows?

For myself, I plan to build them for friends and family and for charity auctions only. Unless I had some inside wholesale pricing for all the resources I don't see a lot of margin for profit in it. What a lot of people fail to report is the overall cost, such as consumable items and the wear and tear on things like grinders, drills, etc. While we may have them in our shops and they may not cost us anything to use (at the moment), once we transition from a one time weekend warrior build to full production mode....things will wear out a lot faster and consumables will get...consumed!

I recommend saving every receipt for every part and material used and take notes on what tools were used as well. Make a list of every single thing needed to take the drum from zero to final product. Save receipts for everything purchased and try and calculate the cost of consumable items and tools in your shop. You have to arrive at some bottom line cost to build value. That would at least let you know what you have into each one.
The market will determine what will sell and at what price.
Wanting it to sell it and knowing that it is an awesome smoker won't sell it.
Oakysmoker is offline   Reply With Quote