Warsaw Pay Outs

spicewine

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Just got the Warsaw contest entry form today.

$ 150.00 GC
$ 100.00 RGC
$ 100.00 1st place

Sounds like one to sign up for if you like cooking for free. :roll:

Well look at the bright side. You will win only $150 less than the Grand Champion, that is quite the accomplishment when you finish dead last. :twisted:

Great! Spend $500 to get to the contest and then get taxed on the "winnings", too.

looks like prize money went up. We did it their 1st year and I think grand was $75.00

The Warsaw contest is run purely for profit by the promoter. There is not a charity or service organization involved. I know he has expenses to cover, but the math sure works in his favor. There thirty five teams in this contest last year. Needless to say, we won't be going there this year. Marshall and Jefferson City payouts are much better.

Last year we paid $120 to enter, received $80 for 1st place ribs,,,,,,

Probably not on our list for this year,,,,,,,,

I am considering trying to bring a more local comp to my area, so these threads really interest me. Since this appears to be on the 'small time' side of the equation, I have questions:

-Does anyone that has cooked Warsaw know if there are corporate sponsors for the event? Is the prixe pool entirely from entrance fees????
-Can you confirm they do not use CBJs? It is not a KCBS contest then, right?
-What are the team fees this year? still $120?

Paola Greg said:
Last year we paid $120 to enter, received $80 for 1st place ribs,,,,,,

Probably not on our list for this year,,,,,,,,

Greg, I remember your first place ribs, my second place ribs got $50.
Baggs won first place in brisket. We won a whopping $130 total.

G$ said:
I am considering trying to bring a more local comp to my area, so these threads really interest me. Since this appears to be on the 'small time' side of the equation, I have questions:

-Does anyone that has cooked Warsaw know if there are corporate sponsors for the event? Is the prixe pool entirely from entrance fees????
-Can you confirm they do not use CBJs? It is not a KCBS contest then, right?
-What are the team fees this year? still $120?

No corporate sponsors. It is ran by the campground/restaurant owner where the contest is held. I assume the prize money comes from the entry fees. It is a KCBS contest. I don't know if they used CBJs.

You guys stay away - gives us a better chance of getting into the Royal Invitational and the Jack draw....course we still have to beat all of the other teams.

MoKanMeathead said:
You guys stay away - gives us a better chance of getting into the Royal Invitational and the Jack draw....course we still have to beat all of the other teams.

Since you are going to be there maybe we should go for the entertainment.

I got the info today as well. I couldn't believe Grand was only $150 although the prize money in the categories went up a bit. Last year, we got $30 for 3rd in chicken and another $30 for 3rd in brisket. 6th place overall and got a whopping $60 to show for everything. This year, it seems 43rd place is $50. But it was fun last year! An ordeal with the weather but fun. I'm thinking we can't let Wayne and Bob go down and win it, can we? :lol: We might have to at least give them one extra hurdle. :wink:

The sponsor told us after the contest that he was planning on getting some sponsors this year so the prize money could go up. Well, it really didn't much at all and he doesn't appear to have any sponsors from the info he sent out. I'm guessing he's 2-3 years away from not being able to draw any entries to Warsaw. And that's sad really. It could really be a good contest down there.

MoKanMeathead said:
Come on down you guys - it'll be fun!!! Beside what else ya gonna be doin?

Celebrating their win at the Capital City Cook Off? :wink: :lol:

That's not much to win is it? Jeez, the winner of last year's local contest put on by the newspaper walked out with 2 grand. They took GC and 1st in a couple of categories. We walked in 3 categories and brought home 500. I figure we probably broke even.

Fredbird said:
The Warsaw contest is run purely for profit by the promoter. There is not a charity or service organization involved. I know he has expenses to cover, but the math sure works in his favor. There thirty five teams in this contest last year. Needless to say, we won't be going there this year. Marshall and Jefferson City payouts are much better.

Come to Marshall. Great contest, and they've moved it back to the park. Rich and Bunny Tuttle are the reps and they are great. Pretty competitive contest, too.

Wait, you guys stay home. You were on too much of a roll at the end of last year. :wink:

Even though I live in the Warsaw area I am extremly embarassed that this organizer can't come up with a higher payout because this area has a lot of potential. I won't be here the weekend of this event so I personally can't compete but my other team members may be able to and I hope they do, to at least show support for the area and give you teams that show up a little competition. If I can get to the right person or persons I will see what I can do to get things changed for the future and for the better.

Lee (SloppyQ)

Back