Salmonella Outbreak

Never really understood the real threat of Salmonella. I understand that for older people and immunine compromised individuals its potentionaly deadly but if you cook it right, it won't harm you. Am I missing something?

The biggest problem is when it gets into things that are NOT designed to be cooked, usually via cross contamination.

My brother almost died when he was little from salmonella. He got it from ice cream. A truck used to haul Schwans milk had been used for raw eggs and not cleaned properly in between loads. There was a big class action law suit etc.

The most difficult thing was, we couldn't figure out what he was sick with. He had not eaten anything typically associated with salmonella, no eggs, no chicken, etc. We had all eaten the ice cream, but only once...he had it every night before bed for a couple weeks.

Most people don't cook ice cream to 165, salmonella can be very dangerous if it gets into the wrong product.

Those 250 or so cases of salmonella have occurred over the last almost 12 months, across the nation. Doesn't strike me as a big number at all. I always treat chicken like it is tainted and I always wear gloves. Don't want that sickness...

Last week I bought a multi pack of thighs from the San Ramon Costco. When I heard
about the outbreak I checked the numbers on my package. Sure enough I got a number match, P7632. Took them back this morning and got a full refund. I just don't
want to take a chance. It's just not worth it.:shock:

Samonella outbreak

There are some intresting short films of food prep exersises where the food is sprayed with flouresent marker that is visiable under special light. It is enlightening to watch while the food is being handeled and preped because the film editor has made it so the marker glows and you witness the moment cross contamination happens.

Those 3 numbers, 7632, 6137 and 6137A are the only ones I see or have seen for a long time here in Northern California. I was at Costco today.... 7632. Went to the grocery store....6137. I cook that stuff all the time without problems. Bogus scare!

So my girl has been freaking out about this since chicken is about the only thing she eats, and I just noticed that we have 1 single breast in the freezer with one of the dreaded numbers on it :twitch:

We bought it in one of those individually wrapped bonus packs at the local king soopers about a week ago (before the scare), marinated it in some delicious scotts Mediterranean marinade, and they came out great - possible salmonella and all. Mmmmm salmolicious!

Nobody got sick - so I guess the last one is safe to eat :biggrin1:. King Soopers (kroger) has been freaking out and has pulled all the simple truth organic, and foster farms chickens off the shelf, put up signs all over the store, AND left us both pre-recorded voicemails 3 TIMES :shock:

I got salmonella a few years back. Still have no idea how I got it. I hadn't had any chicken recently so there is no telling.

It was probably the worst pain I've ever experienced. Laid up in bed for days. There was a constant pain, but also every 3-5 minutes a terrible knife like stub would come and I would just have to scream and deal with it. Eventually they gave me some sort of muscle relaxer for my colon that helped quite a bit.

I wash my hands like crazy now, but I still love me some raw food. Raw eggs in whiskey sours, beef tartar, beef carpaccio...It's just too good.

OK, so the limit on USDA Salmonella checks on chicken is a max of 8% but they will let you slide up to 10%. Foster Farms has been hitting 25% at 2 plants in California. I don't know about you folks but I treat chicken as vermin. They are disgusting and tainted. I wear gloves and treat my cutting board like I was washing off the devil's juices. 10% to 25% doesn't faze me. It's all hype. Just be smart.

Back