THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I do my prep work and hold the uncooked ingredients in separate vessels, does this constitute more than one dish?

Please accept this as my official entry to the "One Dish Wonder" Throwdown.

Choucroute Garnie is a hearty Alsatian dish made from choucroute (sauerkraut), sausages, cured meats and potatoes.This is not a dish for the faint of heart. If you have heart problems, eating a heaping bowl of Choucroute Garnie will probably make them worse.

So without further ado, I present my version of a "One Dish Wonder"

The polling aka Money Shot!

Please review the complete thread before casting your vote! It can be found here!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2532778&postcount=1

Not if the final product is cooked in a single vessel.

Well, that's not quite right. You can cook everything separately, then mix it all up for the final meal.

Cooking a steak, a baked potatoes and grilled asparagus, and putting all three on one plate separately would not qualify.

But, if you grill steak, cook potatoes and veggies, and combine them into a Shepherds Pie, it qualifies.

This was Guerry's idea, I'm just doing a Guerry to Normal People translation. :becky:

CD

I have absolutely no idea what Guerry is talking about. It sounds like the entire meal is made out of a dish, or is on a dish or is cooked on a smoker, and then there are all these special rules about bread and things. Anyway, I have a couple of one-item meals that I'm sure will get DQ'ed because I am an utter failure when it comes to special rules. I'm not even sure why I'm bothering, but here goes nothing:

Of course that is not really an entry because nobody (except me) would make an entire meal out of a ribeye with blue-cheese sauce. Fark, the blue-cheese was not cooked on the smoker, so you better scratch that anyway. Better go with this one:

I think I read some special exception for bread..., but fark, the mustard and relish weren't smoked. :tsk:

Nevermind. :tsk:

It's a darned good thing this is not the quality, on-topic TD thread, or a moderator, who is not too busy with his pickle, might intervene. We certainly wouldn't want THAT to happen.

CD :rolleyes:

Mongo's Official One Dish Wonder entry...

I've been on the sidelines for a while so figured I would jump in on this TD... Since I'm still working through the sixteen pounds + of beef shorties I've picked up over the last couple months :crazy:, what better to do than beef shorties :thumb:. With hot summer weather just right around the corner, I tried to think of light/refreshing dishes to prepare. First thing that sprang to mind of course was BEEF STEW! :loco:
Without further ado, I present Mongo's smoked/braised beef shortie beef stew. Start off with about four pounds of ribs, seasoned with S&P, Lawry's and parsley.
edit_preview.php

On to the Traeger for about two hours of smoke.
edit_preview.php

Two hours later...
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

I pulled them off and brushed with a combination of tomato paste, wosty, cider vinegar, paprika and assorted other spices. Then I put them in trusty cast iron dutch oven, added beef/beer broth to the top of the bone, covered and put back on the Traeger to braise for a couple more hours.
edit_preview.php

Probed like buttah and off to cool while I worked on the rest.
edit_preview.php

On to the veggies
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

I had reserved the liquid from braising after cooling and then skimming off the grease
edit_preview.php

I used a couple tablespoons of the skimmed grease to saute the onion and garlic for a bit
edit_preview.php

In go the spuds, carrots and celery
edit_preview.php

After a ten minutes or so, added the reserved liquid and covered to simmer and reduce
edit_preview.php

While things were simmering away in the DO, I sliced the rib meat up into good sized chunks
edit_preview.php

By the time I was done, the veggies were beginning to tender and the sauce had started to reduce.
edit_preview.php

In goes the meat and a few peas
edit_preview.php

I gave the concoction a while to simmer and allow the flavors to combine, then put into a container in the fridge for the night. Here we have the finished stew warmed up for breakfast this morning.
edit_preview.php

Below is the money shot
edit_preview.php

While the finished pics didn't turn out to my liking, the stew sure did. The beef shorties were melt in your mouth tender and had a deep beefy taste. The veggies were perfectly done, and had taken on a rich and hearty flavor. Thanks for wading through this painfully long post. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back