Just Tried Adam Perry Lang's Short Ribs...

Man that looks great. Is this a specific cut of short ribs? Never seen them that meaty.

If I'm not mistaken the super large ones are IMPS 123a's and the more uniform meaty kind are IMPS 130's.

The difference being that the 123a's are usually plate and are ribs 6,7 and 8. Generally they are three ribbers. The 130's are more uniform and smaller(not SMALL just not the massive 123a's) and usually come in 4 rib sections from ribs 2,3,4 and 5 from the chuck section.

Gonna try and score some this weekend for a smoke soon. Headed to the restaurant depot in Charlotte. Hopefully they will have something...if not I shall smoke something else. This diet is killing me!!!

Last edited:
Thanks.

On a funny note. Just yesterday I was doing some electrical and plumbing work for a retired doctor that now raises beef cattle. Soooooo I figured I'd ask him if he sold his beef to individuals and if he could get me the cuts I'm looking for. He says SURE I CAN SELL YOU ANY PART YA WANT SON. It'll be a dollar a pound. I thought that sounded too good to be true. So I decided to try and tell him what I was after. He stops me and says......any part so long as the cow has it....a dollar a pound LIVE WEIGHT...I will only sell you the whole cow son. LMAO!! :heh::heh:

Well....at least I now know where I can get a steer and for how much. He said just tell him when he's on the way to the slaughterhouse and he'd hand it over to them while he's there. Hmmmmm....let's see...that's 1100lbs...650lbs hanging weight.....that's 1.69/lb....now to figure out how much the slaughterhouse will be and I may just take him up n this. LOL!!:decision:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
After following this thread, I went to RD last weekend to get a package of short ribs. They had a few different cuts to chose from and I had no idea what was what but picked a package that just looked good to me. It weighed 18 pounds...went to check out and it rang up $105--ouch. even the cashier did a double check and looked over the receipt --it was right $5.89 a pound....going in the cooker tomorrow, hopefully they are worth it.

• Thanks
Thanks.

On a funny note. Just yesterday I was doing some electrical and plumbing work for a retired doctor that now raises beef cattle. Soooooo I figured I'd ask him if he sold his beef to individuals and if he could get me the cuts I'm looking for. He says SURE I CAN SELL YOU ANY PART YA WANT SON. It'll be a dollar a pound. I thought that sounded too good to be true. So I decided to try and tell him what I was after. He stops me and says......any part so long as the cow has it....a dollar a pound LIVE WEIGHT...I will only sell you the whole cow son. LMAO!! :heh::heh:

Well....at least I now know where I can get a steer and for how much. He said just tell him when he's on the way to the slaughterhouse and he'd hand it over to them while he's there. Hmmmmm....let's see...that's 1100lbs...650lbs hanging weight.....that's 1.69/lb....now to figure out how much the slaughterhouse will be and I may just take him up n this. LOL!!:decision:

$1 a pound live weight is pretty cheap, the live market price here last week was $1.19 a pound. I think average cost to process depends on how you have it cut, like how many steaks instead of roasts, or how much ground up. Last one I remember seeing was about $350 for processing.

• Thanks
After following this thread, I went to RD last weekend to get a package of short ribs. They had a few different cuts to chose from and I had no idea what was what but picked a package that just looked good to me. It weighed 18 pounds...went to check out and it rang up $105--ouch. even the cashier did a double check and looked over the receipt --it was right $5.89 a pound....going in the cooker tomorrow, hopefully they are worth it.

Trying not to hijack, but this thread I posted the ribs were from Rest. Depot. I messed up the ribs, but luckily I only cooked one slab of the four that were in the package.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167481

Yeah, that price is about right based on my experience - not one of the cheaper cuts, but if you cook them until probe tender, they will be more than worth it. Short rib has gotten to be my favorite cut of beef. A few folks from where I work saw what I eating yesterday and went and got some for themselves and they all lost their minds. We may have 2 carloads going over there next week. :hungry:

Back