• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pizza ?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Lots of post about pizza lately and I have to ask what kind of fuel are you using? I am a little concerned if I use only wood or lump it may get a little overly smokey. Maybe it is not in the smoke long enough to get much smoke. I am guessing it is going to be a very hot and clean fire, and have not noticed anyone saying anything about the smokiness of their pizza, so did I answer most of my own question and concerns here?
Dave

I use only lump. You really don't get a smoke taste like in ribs or brisket. Yes, you did answer your own question.

As the guys say, Mo-Dave. However, I do tend to get my smoke (hickory) going even for such a short lived cook. I use a foiled pouch of hickory chips for the purpose. And it is not beyond me to cook indirect, such as the recent pita pizza pics I posted. There's a lot to be said about that ol' wood fired brick oven effect.

Last edited:
When Phil or Poohbah made 16 pizzas on my lg BGE at the A. Royal we used lump.
We had no problems with oversmoked taste what soever.

I used lump for my pizza cook. It isn't overly smoky, but I did a plain pie for the kids in the oven because they didn't like the charcoal flavor the previous time. They almost killed the pie last night though, heck, I'm just happy I could get them to eat dinner.

Back