Meadow Creek vs Lang

backdraftbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear some input on a Meadow Creek TS250 vs a Lang 60. Thank you in advance!

Wait no one is really using Lang’s for competition? What is the replacement?

I've never personally seen someone compete on a Lang. Lots of Jambos and Outlaws (more recently). I have seen quite a few Shirley's. I guess they'd be the most similar to a Lang.

Full disclosure, 2017 was our 2nd year competing. Pappy has a more broad experience band. :)

Wait no one is really using Lang’s for competition? What is the replacement?

For stick burners, most are Jambo. I’ve seen a Shirley or two but not many. Haven’t seen a Lang in awhile. My first comp smoker was a Lang.

I cook comps on a Shirley RF. I have seen a few Langs at comps. One dude would walk quite a bit.

I've never personally seen someone compete on a Lang. Lots of Jambos and Outlaws (more recently). I have seen quite a few Shirley's. I guess they'd be the most similar to a Lang.

Full disclosure, 2017 was our 2nd year competing. Pappy has a more broad experience band. :)

You’ve seen us in Nelsonville. Lang 84

Over the years, comp cooking has steered towards pits that can give extended burn times so folks can get some rest. Computerized pellet cookers, Cabinet cookers, Draft controllers, or high end insulated pits like jambos ar emore prevalent. That being said I competed on a dual Lang 84 and a klose Backyard chef for several years and did better than when i switched to the cabinet and pellet cookers.

ive cooked alot on the lang, and a little bit less on friends Meadow creeks. The pits performance were pretty close, and they are bioth high quality, but i would give the edge to meadow creek for fit and finish and some of the small details..like the door latches, warming box designs and definitely the grills the put on the fronts of the larger models. I think the lang has better draft, and found it easier to run hotter than the meadow creak. I think this is due to the design of the intakes.

Bottom line, both are quality, and you cant go wrong with either. Last I looked the lang was a little less expensive than the meadow creek, so that can be a deciding factor. Since fit & finish i think is the most obvious difference, with neither being bad, and one just a little better than the other, I dont think that would justify a huge price variation for 2 similarly designed quality pits.

With all that being said, look at the Shirley pits. If there is a similar design and has close pricing, IMO, the craftsmanship of the Shirley far(very far, very very far) exceeds what ive seen in MC or Lang.

Below is my double Lang and the Super Shirley which replaced the Lang(or added capacity) for our cooks for our Veterans.

Attachments

• 882.jpg
    882.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 177
  • the beast.jpg
    the beast.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 2012-09-04_17-53-16_897.jpg
    2012-09-04_17-53-16_897.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 175
Back