For Long Island Brethren

MAsQue

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm waiting on a phone call from a farmer out by Wading River who has just taken down a row of peach/plum trees in his orchard. As of yesterday, he is letting me come out to cut up and take such wood as I want at $10 per pick-up load. I thought I would ask him how much of this wood he is willing to sell, if there were others here who were interested.

If anyone is interested, and is available this morning, pm me or reply to this post and I'll ask him if he's willing to have other guys come for the wood, too. If enough people are interested, but can't make it this morning, I'll see if he's willing to do another day. If he doesn't mind having his phone number posted, I'll do that; but until and unless he agrees, I don't want to queer the deal.

Let me know if you're interested.

if he is willing to let more folks out there to pick up wood, i'd be interested too.

phil

i have never used peach or plum, anybody?

Both work great, especially on poultry and pork.

I use a lot of peach, even in the FEC.
And a real cook named Mixon uses peach and does pretty fair in comps :lol:

TIM

I use peach often. Never tried plum. Sled, most butts that come out of my pit recently have had peach. All the butts we did fthat day for your snowmobile thing we used peach chunks in the spicebox.

I use peach often. Never tried plum. Sled, most butts that come out of my pit recently have had peach. All the butts we did fthat day for your snowmobile thing we used peach chunks in the spicebox.
didnt realize that, mmmm they came out real good too(with exception of the grease fire)

So im in , whats the deal? My van is empty and i have the time

I love peach. Wish I knew where Wading River is.

Head east (or north, south or west) from Garden City. When the water is between your knees and you chest your are wading. Not sure if you'll be in a river, but I'm pretty sure given enough distance you'll be wading - You are on an island :mrgreen:

My neighbor and I went out Saturday and gathered roughly a face cord of 4 to 8 inch peach logs. I doubt that we picked up a tenth of what was available. I have to admit that, before I saw the quantity of wood, I didn't fully realize what an opportunity this is. The farmer in question cuts down a couple of acres of trees every year (trees have a certain productive lifespan, then they're useless to him), so this could be an on-going thing.

Phil has correctly pointed out that this is a pretty valuable resource and that care should be taken in exploiting it and I think his advice is worth following. The farmer's biggest worry is that too many people will be tramping around his orchard and hurting his trees and getting into his sheds or whatever. I'm going to speak with the owner on Thursday to find out if the plum is ready. I'll ask him if I can bring a couple of extra guys along on Saturday. If four or five of us show up and he sees that that goes well, I'll ask him if we can come back on Sunday.

If we don't get a chance to get everyone in, I have no problem sharing what wood we can get with those who can't make it. I hope everyone will agree. I think its most important that we get invited back next year, no matter how easy that means we have to take it this year.

Back