is the coating on mild steel toxic?

joegiggles

Reaction score
I stopped by a steel supplier today and they told me that the coating on the #9 mild steel expanded metal I was buying would not be safe as a cooking surface. Are they right? They said it comes that way from the mill. Can I just burn the day lights out of it and use it or is there something else I should be looking for?

the stuff they sell at Home Depot comes wrapped in cardboard and there are pictures of bbq grills on it, says it can be used for that so unless that stuff is galvanized or something it should be fine, unless that guy knows something we dont

be specific to what kind of coating? if its galvinized or zinc plated.. its a no go for cooking..

I stopped by a steel supplier today and they told me that the coating on the #9 mild steel expanded metal I was buying would not be safe as a cooking surface. Are they right? They said it comes that way from the mill. Can I just burn the day lights out of it and use it or is there something else I should be looking for?

Its ok, just either give is a mild soap wash or burn it off, that is what I do, and then don't forget to season it with oil just like your cooker.
Dave

I've never heard this before, but since it's a steel supplier, that expanded steel you were looking at may have a specific use that requires a coating. Wouldn't hurt to ask for more details about it.

I think the coating is just a light industrial oil coating to prevent rusting. A good soap (degreaser) and water wash should be fine. You can burn it with a weed burner alittle while to make you feel better to.

I thought it would be ok. just got a little gun shy when he told me that. its a black liner if that means anything to you guys....

could be black oxide ? not sure but i'm suspecting that you might not want that.
the exp metal i get from my metal shop is obviousely raw steel with some rust or an obvious oil film on it so i don't worry about that.

Back