View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Exclamation The Popdaddy/Pitmaster Final Edict on BBQ Temps

Yes, an edict!

An Edict is a statment of law; often associated with monarchism.

Please go on or click ignore if:

1. You think you are going to pursuade me I am anything but a "King," for essentially I am one, as Henry the IV was in Luigi Pirandello's, Enrico the IV. If you know what this refers to or at least are the type of intellect that would wiki this so you could appear to know what you are talking about then you have the intellectual qualifications to participate because it is a hell of a reference to what I do.

2. If you are a low and slower that does well with this process and know that we mutually realize that our different house temps are just another way of doing things... with different preps, rubs and tools, then this may be a waste of time.

3. If you are a noobe coming in here to say things like "there is only one true thing about bbq we can all agree on and follow that with ... bbq is not simmering, bbq is always low and slow...." well then you may want to shutup or leave.

4. If you are the type of person that says things like "such and such wins everytime," then reveal you have no team, never ran one, or was taught by some guy that knows and would refuse to reflect on your own skills you may what to pass on commentary.

5. If you are going to keep griping about your scores yet insist everything you are doing is not subject to review... you may want to cintinue your path toward mediocrity.

So who is this edict for? If you are struggling with a meat and/or have tanked your scores, and/or are totally new and want a starting point or re-reference point, I say this might be the law for you.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - the 270 degree temp shall be the official novice or resetting (for the experienced) house average cooking temp for both brisket, spares, beef ribs and pulled pork. This is an overall house temp.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that the cook using the H and F method will value a goos rest and its role in making a good brisket or butt.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that the depth of smoke flavor and smoke ring will be attained by a lower 200 degree initial smoke of at least one hour and no more than two (althouh Phil does a wicked sexy thang with his butts I have tried and is awesome but not for the novice).

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - a cook will make every effort to keep those temps within 20 degrees of either side of the official noobe temp of 270.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that 270, or any hot and fast temp comes with its own set of rubs, techniques and tribulations. Those that seek to croos low and slow techniques (esp the use of sugars) with hot and fast techniques do so at their own peril and deserve the crappy results they will get. There can be no crossing of the streams!!!! Initially.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that the Night Train in a Dark Closet shall be the official starting point of mastering a BBQ Brisket and attaining the Feel without wasting precious money and resources.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that the Night train shall only be done with foil and in the oven and not any type of smoker.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that any "probe" shall be capable of performing its duty had it been created in the 1920. This would exclude electronic temp probes.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that these laws are intended, once again, for the novice to new meats (excluding clod which should be cooked to medium rare at 400 - 450) to the person who has lost their way or never found it from the low and slow death march.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that this edict was essentially a way to reconcile true hot and fast with the realities of our german steel oven pits.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that once the meat is mastered at the entry temp suggested, it is ENTIRELY fine to tweak to either side in both time and temp and even rub, slather, or artifical injections, to get to where the individual desires.

Here say so the Fabulous Pitmaster T. Never forget who the Edict is for. Long Live Popdaddy... ****, he died.

Edict.

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 06-16-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->