Hot and Fast Brisket

If 275 degrees is considered "hot and fast", I guess I'm in that camp. That just seems to work great, foiling in the 160-170 range.

However, don't a lot of folks, including Myron Mixon, consider 350 degrees the "hot and fast" target temp? I've only tried it once that hot, and it was ok, but I think I'll stick to 275 unless someone can convince me that 350 is better. After all, that's roasting, then braising, and actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you could smoke a brisket at 275 and never foil with decent results... if it was a really good piece of beef and your pit cooked even and had good moisture.

Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller

Not sure what the technical definition is but it was hot and fast for me. :-D

"That looks great!! So how hot and how fast?"

The center grate temp was pretty steady at 275 with a spike at @300. 6 hrs from beginning to slices including a 1 hr rest.

"Those slices look good...did you use an electric knife ?"

The wife will love that one. It was my first chance to use the electric knife she got me for Christmas on a Brisket. :biggrin:

I just realized how quick your 14.5 trimmed packer cooked! Five hours, at 275? Wow!

Every brisket I've ever cooked was more stubborn than that....that's FOR SURE. I started cooking briskets a little faster this way with DR. BBQ's method: In Ray Lampe's Shortcut Brisket recipe for a itty bitty 5-6 lb. flat, he says to cook at 275 for 3-4 hours until 160, then wrap in foil and start checking an hour later. That's a minimum of a four hour cook, for a piece of meat well less than half the weight and thickness you cooked! I've never cooked a flat that small, so I don't know if his time is right, but I just mention it for reference. He uses the same times for his Jalapeno brisket recipe, and I've never noticed any mistakes in the book before. Maybe someone will chime in, though.

Anyway, did you leave your probe in the flat while it was wrapped in foil on the cooker? I've done that, had it read 200 degrees and still be tough...can't go by temps while in the foil....but I guess it must've been tender enough. It looked pretty good.

Just curious as to the speed of the cook...I guess it could've been the magic of the UDS. I've been amazed at how fast I've gotten stuff done cooking directly above the coals, but then again, that's been when I flipped the meat ever so often.

Anyway, I think 275 is a fine temp to shoot for! I guess I'll start checking temps sooner.

Dave

I just realized how quick your 14.5 trimmed packer cooked! Five hours, at 275? Wow!

Every brisket I've ever cooked was more stubborn than that....that's FOR SURE. I started cooking briskets a little faster this way with DR. BBQ's method: In Ray Lampe's Shortcut Brisket recipe for a itty bitty 5-6 lb. flat, he says to cook at 275 for 3-4 hours until 160, then wrap in foil and start checking an hour later. That's a minimum of a four hour cook, for a piece of meat well less than half the weight and thickness you cooked! I've never cooked a flat that small, so I don't know if his time is right, but I just mention it for reference. He uses the same times for his Jalapeno brisket recipe, and I've never noticed any mistakes in the book before. Maybe someone will chime in, though.

Anyway, did you leave your probe in the flat while it was wrapped in foil on the cooker? I've done that, had it read 200 degrees and still be tough...can't go by temps while in the foil....but I guess it must've been tender enough. It looked pretty good.

Just curious as to the speed of the cook...I guess it could've been the magic of the UDS. I've been amazed at how fast I've gotten stuff done cooking directly above the coals, but then again, that's been when I flipped the meat ever so often.

Anyway, I think 275 is a fine temp to shoot for! I guess I'll start checking temps sooner.

Dave

I didn't really know what to expect since I had not cooked this way before.(intentionally) I typically do not use a temp probe for the meat. I used an instant read this time because I wanted to document what was happening. It was at 165 at the 3 hr mark which surprised me but I went with it and foiled. At the 5 hr mark, it was 200 and the probe went in like buttah so I pulled and rested. Again, I was surprised. The UDS definitely cooks faster than my offset. On a low and slow cook, the UDS trims 2-3 hours from what my offset takes with same meat and similar temps. I can't speak to the physics of it, I just try to adjust the techniques based on the smoker used. I do not flip briskets on the UDS nor do I mop. I put it on fat side down and leave it alone.

I didn't really know what to expect since I had not cooked this way before.(intentionally) I typically do not use a temp probe for the meat. I used an instant read this time because I wanted to document what was happening. It was at 165 at the 3 hr mark which surprised me but I went with it and foiled. At the 5 hr mark, it was 200 and the probe went in like buttah so I pulled and rested. Again, I was surprised. The UDS definitely cooks faster than my offset. On a low and slow cook, the UDS trims 2-3 hours from what my offset takes with same meat and similar temps. I can't speak to the physics of it, I just try to adjust the techniques based on the smoker used. I do not flip briskets on the UDS nor do I mop. I put it on fat side down and leave it alone.

Yeah, I wish I understood why cooking direct gets it done so much quicker. I guess it's a matter of moving the coolness from the meat out of the pit more efficiently. I've just always flipped the meat per the BDS website instructions (unless using a diffuser), but I'll have to try leaving it alone. Actually, I have left chicken unturned, but I've found that ribs needed to be turned or the bone side would get pretty dark. I never turn them if I have a diffuser in place and, cook sub 225 in the UDS for results. jThat's just been MY experience, and maybe it's a fluke.

I'm still amazed at how fast you got that brisket done! I guess it goes to show the inconsistancy in meat.

Regards,
Dave

Dang it man!! Just woke up and about to make some breakfast and what do I see? One bad mamah jamah brisket ! Looks real good ! Now if I can just cook one in an hour for breakfast I will be good :)

I'll bet you don't take 13-15 hours to get really great Brisket any more!!!!

PARTY!!!!!

Great job Muff! Look at the muscle fibers or rather the space between them... the absence of fat and collagen shows us that is tender as all get out PLUS sliceable.

Now you could do the while thing fat down and then flip it when you were thinking about wrapping it and just panning it. This softens the flat bottom a bit while preserving the top bark. But its no big deal.

On the temp thing and the confusion about hot and fast. There is somewhat a new kind of vernacular about hot and gast. You had very hot like about 450 grilling with a certain amount of time set in a cooler spot to cook. The opposite of this would be the less precise temps below grilling. Measurement devices for determining temp? Hands, sounds, noises so it was quite general.. no one was bbqing at a precise given temp.

This is why we have come to the new surprise that temp flare up like going to 300 or whatever do not completely murder your meat.

Then you had the term low and slow come up... which more precisely used to cover temps under the gilling temps.

However, in recent years, as the internet spread its web.. more people would see one guy cooking at 250, then assume, i will go lower, then the next guy lower than his, until you get a bunch of guys trying to struggle with making good cue at 215.

Here then we have a newer def of hot and fast which differs from the older one. Considering what the popular consensus was a year or two ago, above 250 now would be considered hot and fast. In addition, 250 degrees now with out UDS, Kettles and Oven (offsets) was COMPLETELY different than 250 in an open pit as only one side was getting the heat.

Like I said.... Great job on the vittles!

I have been on a good roll with briskets and had low & slow down on the UDS. I've been hesitant to try a hot and fast cook but I let my drum temps get out of whack superbowl weekend and salvaged a really good product so I decided to try it for real.

Started with a 14.5 lb full packer and I trimmed more fat than I normally do since it was going to be a faster cook:
DSC04867.jpg

My "in the drum" pics are on my phone. :icon_blush: I used plowboys bovine bold and ran the UDS at 275 center grate temp. At the 3 hour mark, the IT was 165. I foiled with a little broth. After 2 hours, the IT was at 200 so I pulled to rest. Rested 1 hr and this was the result:
DSC04870.jpg

DSC04874.jpg

DSC04877.jpg

I am very pleased. My "usual" process takes 13-15 hours. The bark is softer from foiling but I am very pleased with the flavor, appearance and tenderness. I actually remembered my new year's resolution and kept a log of the entire cook with hourly updates. Hopefully, I will be able to do this again.

Looks good enough to eat! Myron would be proud of the hot and fast cook.

Newbie question. Which part of the below cut would become the burnt ends? I hear y'all talking about them and I've seen pics after they're cooked but still unclear where they come from. :oops:

Looks good enough to eat! Myron would be proud of the hot and fast cook.

Newbie question. Which part of the below cut would become the burnt ends? I hear y'all talking about them and I've seen pics after they're cooked but still unclear where they come from. :oops:

The burnt ends would be made by seperating the point from the flat and putting it back on the cooker. Referring to your pic, the narrow end on the right is the point, and the wider, flatter end on the left is the other end of the flat. They overlap.

Awesome job, nice to see another hot and fast convert! :-D

Which part of the below cut would become the burnt ends? I hear y'all talking about them and I've seen pics after they're cooked but still unclear where they come from. :oops:

This pic may make it a little clearer. The flat is on the left and the point is on the right. There is a layer of fat between them, so it's not too difficult to separate them. Many people slice the flat, then cube the point for burnt ends (or faux burnt ends, but that's another story).

IMG_0024.jpg

Thanks to Saiko & Dave. So basically, the point is slightly overlapped by the flat (on a slant). Thanks fellas. I'm in pork butt country down here and my brisket knowledge was weak. Gotta try me one.

Sorry bout hijacking your thread Diver.

Back