Ugly Drum Smoker Photo Gallery

1a71570d.jpg

Nice Nissan!!!

IMG_0746.jpg

I made a "heat shield" for the charcoal basket. A lid from a 55 gal drum and made holes in it.

IMG_0747.jpg

I made a few sort of aligned holes on the new UDS lid.

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_6766.jpg

IMG_6800.jpg

I have a SSUDS. I used an Arctic lid, but I've switched to one I made out of 1/3 of another drum. It seals better, and has more room, but it is heavy! Last pic is my grilling mod, so I can hang the fire basket right under the cooking grate for direct grilling.
IMGP5021.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMGP4837.jpg

My UDS

Born October 2009

4 Inlets, 2 Levels, Aluminum pan for Ash pan, Cart from worn-out Uniflame grill.

Attachments

• My UDS.jpg
    My UDS.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 4,645
  • UniFlame Grill Cart_Reborn.jpg
    UniFlame Grill Cart_Reborn.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 4,628
Last edited:
Ok, these all look so nice! (mine is the only ugly one I see) Come on guys, lets see some greasy, grimey, well-used drums!

(anti-shiny grate mod)

devious. I don't suppose you'd want to build another UDS like that and sell it to me for a reasonable amount?

Nothing fancy. Your basic K.I.S.S. model with casters,Weber lid,folding side tables and a Weber rotisserie.
Picture136-1.jpg

in action.
campdaywiththegirls.jpg

Gotta gut feeling this could be another one of those big threads. Nice to see all the different designs out there all in one thread. Sticky possibly??

Here's a couple more I built for a friend of mine. The black one is a regular steel drum, and he's been smoking with it every weekend since I built it. The other one is a new SS drum I dropped off Saturday. He plans to keep both, and run them at the same time! There's a couple pics of the new handles I've been making, and my bottom vents, which seem to work well. All Stainless, of course.
IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

Man those are some over the top smokers! What is the pipe about 1" dia. that comes up the side of some of the smokers? Is there water in any of them ?

Here's my ugly drum. My wife asked if i was gonna paint it. I laughed!:laugh:

Attachments

• Jim's BBQ 008.jpg
    Jim's BBQ 008.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4,153
Man those are some over the top smokers! What is the pipe about 1" dia. that comes up the side of some of the smokers? Is there water in any of them ?
The pipe you see is an adjustable intake. Usually, they are run with the bottom vents closed except for one, and the guys put valves on them and extend them up the side so they are easier to reach. Some guys run 'em with water, but usually they are allowed to drip fat directly on the coals, giving an 'open pit' flavor which some prefer, and some don't. That's the beauty- build it to do what YOU want to do on it!

Back