• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken legs

The Pig's Blanket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking to make a bunch of chicken legs, 20 or so.... Hepl me out with cooking tips, temps and times in a stick burner... All help will be appericated.

300 degrees i like them skin off.. until done.. lol i have no idea on times.. i usually cook them for a hour or so.. lol maybe a little longer maybe a little shorter

^^ +1 on the 300
I almost never do just legs but they should go about an hour
I BRINE all my poultry.
I like the skin on.

Some leg quarters and wings done last week indirect on the kettle.

IMG_20130608_203837_087_zps9c892fc3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I like to 'brine' or use the Kosmo's chicken soak overnight. Another +1 on going relatively high heat, 275-300. I just brine, season liberally, and then toss them on.

I'll bet I usually go 2 hours on mine at that temp.

I like to smoke mine until they probe at about 115, reverse sear them over direct heat till they hit about 140, then sauce them and let the sauce set up until they hit the 165 mark.

Wow! I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I go 325 for 1 hour then flip for 45 mins then stack for 15. Hmmm. I like it when the leg bone turns out from the thigh bone. LOL.

Thanks all! 2 people have suggested a brine. Anyone have a good chicken brine they want to share?
The only time I worry about a brine is when I'm doing a whole bird or halves. The great thing about the dark meat is that it's full of fat and natural flavor, so I just get up under the skin with some oil and a little rub so that as the fat in the skin renders the rub get's into the meat.

The only time I worry about a brine is when I'm doing a whole bird or halves. The great thing about the dark meat is that it's full of fat and natural flavor, so I just get up under the skin with some oil and a little rub so that as the fat in the skin renders the rub get's into the meat.

Thanks. Sounds great!! Im going to try a couple methods this week to see what works for me. at least I have a starting point now:clap2:

Thanks. Sounds great!! Im going to try a couple methods this week to see what works for me. at least I have a starting point now:clap2:

Take lots of pics and share your cook!!
Lots of good comments here, all will be good.
Nothing better than a good side X side to figure out what you like.

Oh, and WELCOME!:mrgreen:

Back