First Hot-n-Fast Brisket, Asian Pork Steaks

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dave
I want to start with a couple of special thank you's.

Bludawg, I'm now a believer in the hot-n-fast, worked great, just like you said!

Landarc, great Asian inspired marinade & sauce, the pork steaks were a real hit!

Here is a link to Landarc's recipe. I made a 4X batch, then added 2 tsp Sriracha and a can of crushed pineapple.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2111945&postcount=2

The Brisket
I've always been a 225*, 12-14 hour kind of guy but I have a big cook coming up in mid-March where I just don't have that kind of time. So, searched a lot and I've been watching the threads & postings on brisket cooks for the last couple months. Decided to do a test run with a 14 pound packer, cranked my reverse flow stick burner up to a target 325*-350* and put the brisket (I just season with S&P) down for the recommended 4 hours, wrapped it in butcher paper for another 1-1/2 hours until probe tender then pulled it off an into a cooler to rest for 1-1/2 hours. Here are a few shots coming out to wrap in BP and carving - a bamboo skewer went through it like butter, very moist & tender.
3413Cook002_zps13857b2b.jpg

3413Cook001_zps658a90d5.jpg

3413Cook006_zpsae53a17e.jpg

3413Cook007_zps4e4f7307.jpg

The Asian inspired pork steaks.
Had my meat guy cut me 4 nice 1-1/4 steaks out of a butt and put about 2/3 of the marinade, less the honey, in to marinate over night. Put them in the smoker for 1/2 hour, then pulled them to sear on hot CI grill (really just enough to mark), then put the other 1/3 of the marinade, mixed with honey and a beer (Heineken) a pan with the steaks and back in the smoker for 1-1/2 hours. Came out super tender, but not falling apart. Really nice taste - definitely a do over for my gang. Here are a couple shots searing and back in the braising pan.
3413Cook004_zpsc1c4281c.jpg

3413Cook005_zps14430c2e.jpg

Finally dinner. Brisket, beans, mac-n-cheese, coleslaw & pork steak.
3413Cook008_zps3a0fe44e.jpg

I do have one question on the hot-n-fast cook that maybe someone could help with. I put the brisket down at about 9:00 am and it was resting in the cooler at 2:30 pm(5-1/2 hours compared to my normal 12-14 hours. Here is my question: it took me about the same number of beers to get through the hot-n-fast cook as it usually takes me to get through a 14 hour - I would have thought there would have been a more linear relationship????

That looks very nice,did the fast cook match a slow cook meat wise?

That looks very nice,did the fast cook match a slow cook meat wise?

Thanks and a definite yes, maybe even better! I have never wrapped in anything and I've got to admit I had a lot more natural juice & moisture with the fast cook!

Everything looks so good! I'm putting the pork steaks on my to-do list. Thanks! :grin:

Hmmm, those pork steaks look really good, better than I expected. Nice cook.

That is a nice brisket as well. Beer in non-linear in all cases. Or even once you break the case open.

Nice Cook and welcome to the dark side, There s a logical reason for consuming the same # of beers your tending a otter pit it pays to stay Hydrated.

When you did the brisket hot and fast did you have the fat up or down? Or does it matter?

Fat up. I trim to about 1/4 inch and get rid of that big chunk of hard yellow fat (whatever its called). And I just do salt & pepper.

Thanks for the info, I have cooked real good brisket on my uds but I havent been able to nail it on my offset yet, I killed everything else such as fibs and butts and have it down, getting the flat to become tender is a problem.

Back