Experiment in the planning

GVDub

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A friend of a friend raises meat rabbits, and we picked up a couple, one of which got cut up and fried, and the other is whole in the freezer. While I know that frying or braising is the usual treatment for the lean-fleshed conejo, I'm thinking that, since the PBC does chicken so well, hanging a bunny might work pretty well, if I marinate and mop judiciously. Smoked rabbit should be pretty tasty.

I'm thinking almost treating it like Cornell chicken, but I'm open to any other ideas.

Last time I had rabbit was rabbit and dumplings..made just like chicken and dumplings..years ago but I remember it being delicious.

I've smoked both domestic and wild rabbits. They are very lean and benefit from brine, injecting or bacon wraps.

Rabbit is probably my favorite meat, and I have eaten a lot of it. Tame, and wild. They are very lean, so you have to be very careful not to dry them out. While tame rabbits are tasty, you want to make sure that you are getting a young rabbit, because they can get tough, and smoking them, just makes it worse. The tough ones, make great sausage, or gumbo.

Rabbit is probably my favorite meat, and I have eaten a lot of it. Tame, and wild. They are very lean, so you have to be very careful not to dry them out. While tame rabbits are tasty, you want to make sure that you are getting a young rabbit, because they can get tough, and smoking them, just makes it worse. The tough ones, make great sausage, or gumbo.

These are young rabbits, raised especially for meat. The source raises for local restaurants, and, as can happen with rabbits, he had a sudden surplus.

Cook like it was a skinless chicken breast.
My dad raised rabbits and we cooked them every way under the sun.
I would much rather eat cottontail.

That is not something I have smoked. I am interested in seeing this thread! :ear::ear::pop2:

Last time I did it.. cut into pieces, brined, then wrapped in bacon. Hit with some BBQ sauce near end of smoke. Tasty!

I have cooked a lot of rabbit and have generally fried or braised. I think you have an interesting idea. If the rabbit gets a little tough after smoking, then simmer in a gumbo base til tender. Changing directions to gumbo has saved my arse more than once.

Back