Remember the Tide warm water deal. Cleans oil residue real well.

Looks cool but bet you won't have enough exhaust. Adapt some fishtails on the Harley Drum using auto header adapters.

Ding, ding, ding. I think I've got a pair of fish tails out in the shed. Thanks Norco.

Jaronimo, yes I used a sponge one of those natural painting sponges. Just wanted something different. Will be waiting to hear how it works out, good luck.

Test drive of UDS

OK, the food has been on the UDS about 45 minutes and the temp is holding rock solid. It has not moved even one degree! I seriously think I am going to spend a lot of time cooking on this UDS.

Heres the fire basket loaded up...
loadedfirebasket.jpg

Heres the food, a fattie with apple and cheese, and a pork tenderloin with Kosciusko mustard rubbed on and then some dry rub...
firstfoodonuds.jpg

Here is a shot of the UDS. It is very ugly now, but as soon as I get a day that warms up enough to paint outside, it will be beautiful!!!
firstsmokeonUDS.jpg

It's about time she's done! My new Stainless UDS.

It has been over a year since I stumbled across the UDS tread while I was surfing for BBQ smoking tips. Not sure how many times I have read this tread for great ideas, not very good at keeping notes. I want to thank everyone for sharing their great ideas. Well last week I had a buddy with a nice shop full of equipment like: plasma cutters, multiple welders, air tools, and more help me fabricate the new stainless steel UDS. OK here goes the pron.

She is not very nice looking right now. I know it is supposed to be an UGLY drum smoker but I am going to buff it out with some stainless polish and hopefully she will look nice again. The burn turned the nice looking stainless brown.
CIMG7539.jpg

CIMG7511.jpg

We welded a 2 inch stainless pipe for intake and exhaust.
CIMG7517.jpg

CIMG7513.jpg

I copied the flapper design from my Chargriller.
CIMG7535.jpg

Found the stainless springs in the pluming section at HD.
CIMG7537.jpg

CIMG7528.jpg

The basket was given to me as is and we welded a base for an ash pan. I may have a problem with ash build up because the bottom has pretty small holes.
CIMG7518.jpg

CIMG7521.jpg

CIMG7519.jpg

Used a Weber grate from HD.
CIMG7538.jpg

Put a hook to hang the door like a Weber.
CIMG7540.jpg

O yea she has a sister! I got the drum for free from a guy who owns a metal supply company. I was telling him about the UDS and he said "I have two stainless steel drums out back. If you build one for me you can have the other drum for nothing." Can't beat that.
CIMG7522.jpg

Only thing left is to get her greasy.:p

Can't wait to see that thing polished up. You will need sunglasses to cook on it.:icon_cool

New Prototype UDS

Here is a VERY ROUGH version of what has been in my mind for the past few months. Ive always wanted to try controlling a UDS with one touch type valve. I finally got an idea to mate the drum to a kettle base and here it is.

Havent got this posting thing figured out alltogether.. so bear with me. First photo shows the channel I made from the half of the drum where I cut - I know its ragged, but it is a prototype and it wont show. The channel is filled with 1/2" stove gasket. The bottom legs of the Weber are shortened a bunch and I am still able to use the Weber ash pan to catch the waste.

I did a test burn today with about 1/2 # of charcoal in it and was able to get temp to hold steady at 250 for about 2 1/2 hours. I will be eager to see how it will behave with a good charge in it

Last pic is the Shop Foreman and BBQ Quality Assurance Manager... nothing gets by him.

Attachments

• hpim0437.jpg
    hpim0437.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,471
  • hpim0440.jpg
    hpim0440.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,466
  • hpim0442.jpg
    hpim0442.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,467
  • hpim0443.jpg
    hpim0443.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,465
  • hpim0444.jpg
    hpim0444.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,474
Newbie/lurker looking for some help!

Oh god's of the UDS please help me!

First I think that I need some eye drops because I did just finnish looking at all of these posts today.

Like I noted I have been lurking for a while now. But as I have been Lurking I have been looking for my drum. I live between Detroit Lakes, MN and Fargo, ND and I cannot find any drums local. Anyone have any ideas? I have actually contacted a company that builds tanks to price out getting a 1/8" sheet rolled to a 23.5" dia. But at $125 I'm back looking for a drum. Might be worth it after I have gotten some practice with a drum.

Thanks for any help! And have a great day!

Oh god's of the UDS please help me!

First I think that I need some eye drops because I did just finnish looking at all of these posts today.

Like I noted I have been lurking for a while now. But as I have been Lurking I have been looking for my drum. I live between Detroit Lakes, MN and Fargo, ND and I cannot find any drums local. Anyone have any ideas? I have actually contacted a company that builds tanks to price out getting a 1/8" sheet rolled to a 23.5" dia. But at $125 I'm back looking for a drum. Might be worth it after I have gotten some practice with a drum.

Thanks for any help! And have a great day!

Check your local craigslist if everywhere else fails. Search for "metal", "drum", or "Barrel". That should get you a few hits.

Be creative... it doesnt have to be a Drum to be an Ugly Smoker... what about an old pressure tank from someones well? Looks like you are in farming country... let your imagination run wild

Hey farklf I think there is a test you have to take first. Not sure who administers it though. It is not open computer either, you have to memorize the subject matter, like what to do if you don't weld and your nipples get loose.:lol:

what about an old pressure tank from someones well?

Like this, not a UDS but a pressure tank none the less.

DSCF0069.jpg

Sorry for the hijack. My next project will be a UDS and I to am currently looking for a drum.

Wow. I bought my drum a week ago and have spent the last few days reading this entire thread! Great advise from all. Thanks. I think I have my plans figured out. I just have a couple questions. My drum was used for "apple juice concentrate" and doesn't seem to have any plasticy liner, but looks like white paint. Is this in fact a liner or just paint? I was planning on burning either way...just wondering. My donor kettle is the Uniflame and doesn't quite fit the barrel. I was going to cut the top of the bottom half of the kettle. Are there specifics on this? I think it was Swamprb who showed this? How well does this seal up? Help?

Jerrykr, I'm doing the upside down version (like you have in your blog). I'm wondering what you use to "seal" the bottom lid? It looks like some type of clamp? Where can i get one?

Thanks again everyone for their advise. I'll post pics soon.

Like this, not a UDS but a pressure tank none the less.

DSCF0069.jpg

Sorry for the hijack. My next project will be a UDS and I to am currently looking for a drum.
That's creative with the wheelchair wheels but dosen't your ber get warm?:mrgreen:

heres my stainless drum but we are still making the outer cover for all the controller and hopper we are making a pellets drum

Attachments

• PIC00002.JPG
    PIC00002.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,324
Back