View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #4758
phoney
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Nice solution to the charcoal basket issue. I found expanded metal at a steel mill here in Houston.

Do you have any problems with the charcoal getting choked by ash? Maybe you don't since you get long burns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkJeep View Post
phoney- just food for thought but it looks like your charcoal basket may not let enough ash escape? Also you you may need more exhaust? My webber lid is not enough during cold weather smokes. I have to crack the lid a bit. Good luck and let us know if you change anything and how it affected your burn..
Not letting enough ash escape is certainly an issue, im left over with tons of it in the basket after a cook.

But, at the same time I am able to maintain a good, stable temperature for 10+ hours, so until I find a better basket it's serving me OK for the mean time.

As for enough exhaust, ive got 4x 3/4" holes plus the small amount that escapes from around the rim of the lid. Is this still not enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
Phoney- seldom do you want more intake than exhaust.
Your basket allows more air than a BGE(look at one) and they have no problem. Of course they only have one intake.
When it rains your barrel is going to fill with water- unless you cover it.
Definitely covered! The weber kettle cover fits like a glove (is this just an Aussie saying?). As you can see I prop up one side to let all of the water run off too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcinepirate View Post
Phoney, I am working on making covers/controls for my vent and exhaust holes. I can't see clearly from your picture how you did it. but are the covers held in place by a screw and spring?

Yep. It's just 2x 3/4" holes drilled side by side and covered over by a length of steel strap held in place by a bolt n nut with a spring and a washer. I got the link from somewhere in this thread that is a "how to" - I pretty much followed this part exactly from the guide.

Link: http://uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com/2...holes-etc.html

and: http://uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com/2...ng-loaded.html

Here's a close-up of mine:

I only wish I had've painted the handles a different color looking at it now!

Last edited by phoney; 01-22-2010 at 06:24 AM..
phoney is offline   Reply With Quote