BBQ knives

They are a little colorful and a little fruity, but my wife bought a set of Shun Pure Komachi 2 knives and they have kept an edge! One thing I can't stand is a dull knife and I keep the sharpener close by but these bad boys have been great! I highly recommend if you can get past the bright colors.

I use the Victorinox (formerly Victorinox Forschner) Fibrox 12-Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife and the Shun 8" chef's knife, the Shun 6" utility knife, and the Shun 3-1/2" paring knife. While Shun is far from the cheapest option, they keep an edge real well and the weight and grip is to my liking. I used to use a cheap electric slicer as well, but the damned thing kept overheating – thought it’d burn my hand last go around; so I threw it out.

A great place to look for knives and kitchen wares in general are places like TJ Maxx or any second-run women's clothing/housewares sort of store. I just bought my parents a nice big Wusthof chefs knife for ~20-30. I also got a nice 12" calphalon nonstick pan for 30 (killer deal). My knives are an Anolon block set that I scored off Ebay for $55 shipped. They have a 58 or 60 rockwell hardness, so they take and hold a nice edge. I love the 10" slicer with the santoku style divets.

I bought a set of knives at a yard sale for 8.00 and the only reason I bought them was for the block. Their name is Carver Hall and I figured they were el cheapos but much to my surprise they are absolutely great knives. I am a wood carver and have made several of my carving knives so I pretty much know what makes a good knife. It just goes to show that a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while.:shocked:

I have a number of knives and am very particular on having them sharp. I find my most useful knife is either the 6" or 8" chef's knife. I defer to the 8" only for certain applications, so I would say the 6" chef's is the ultimate BBQ tool I have.

Local butcher shops some times sell used cutlery cheap.My local butchershop sells used razor sharp chef knives for 5 bucks a pop.Not really as good as my other set but they filet and trim meat great.

Mundial - former german company who now is based in Brazil but prouces great quality knives at half the price of Henckels and Wusthof. IMHO they are better balanced and feel better in hand..... I own 2 chefs knives and all the others - love them. Especially the santoku with granton edge....

Too funny, I had a Mundial 6" Chef's knife I used in kitchens for years, loved that thing. One day I was dicing taters and it just fell apart in my hand. What a workhorse.

Too funny, I had a Mundial 6" Chef's knife I used in kitchens for years, loved that thing. One day I was dicing taters and it just fell apart in my hand. What a workhorse.

LOL... Wow - my original santoku has been going strong for four years now - still almost use it exclusively even though I got a whole set with block for Xmas which has a larger chef's knife in it (traditional non-granton edge)...

However, do use the paring knife (of all things) for trimming fat off meat like ribs and shoulder - sharp little bugger especially if I run it over the steel before each use......

Santoku is heavier than the chef's - feels awesome for balance - great for cutting through sweet potatoes, turnip and squash which are all a PITA...

The set I got for xmas was a good deal from the States, shipped up here for cheap, from CSN stores......

Had heard about Cutco knives and was at a home show and they were there. Decided to purchase a Salmon knife (read filet knife) for $80. Had the opportunity to buy a whole set and expect them to arrive in about a week. Excellent knifes.

Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more knife geeks on here! Wusthof, Henkels, Forschner, etc. make great products and have been around forever, so I'm not knocking them! I'm just surprised to see that to most people on here knives are an afterthought. Knives. BBQ. Beer. They just all seem to go together. You know, "men stuff."

I needed a new slicer recently and almost bought a Messermeister Meridian Elite since that is the brand my local shop carries. I ended up getting a 300mm (11.8") sujihiki (Japanese slicer). High carbon steel and I can put a scary sharp edge on it. Sounds more expensive than it is--only paid $76 with shipping from Japan. The steel is great, but I sacrificed a bit on the fit and finish, the handle material isn't as nice as higher grade knives. But as a user it's great and it's fairly unique compared to most people's German stuff. Plus I don't really care for stainless and don't mind the extra care that high carbon requires.

NOT start any arguments, just saying what I bought. Most of the knives mentioned in the thread are great. I own and use Forschner and Messermeister knives and even picked up a couple $6 Kiwi cleavers at an Asian market last week. I was just hoping more people geeked out on knives so I could nerd out with them! :cool:

I have an old wood handled Chicago Cutlery set that stays in the kitchen I have had for years and they work decent. Also have another block with old high carbon butcher knives that get used all the time that came from the old man. For my bbq I have a set of 4 Dexter Russel Sani-safe knives that i use all of the time, not the prettiest thing but are extremely comfortable in hand. For slicing I use a Dexter slicing knife, but plan to replace in the near future with a granton edged one. Also have an old pair of Wiss kitchen shears I found still in the package that are pretty handy.

Last night I was slicing a flank steak with a dullish knife and finally made the leap and ordered a set of Kiwi's. I got a CUTCO set, I need to send in for sharpening. My wife bought the CUTCOs about 12 years ago from a friend who sold them. Not a bad knife, but you can get far better for the amount she paid for them.

Most of the knives I am using are ones that I made. Not saying they're great, just mostly what I have. As far as production knives, I too like Mundial. A great feeling knife at a fair price. Used to use them on a kill floor, as well as fabrication.

Had heard about Cutco knives and was at a home show and they were there. Decided to purchase a Salmon knife (read filet knife) for $80. Had the opportunity to buy a whole set and expect them to arrive in about a week. Excellent knifes.

Got a pair of their scissors and they are bulletproof.

I've got a 10" forschren (sp) chef's knife that is my primary prep knife.

I have a set of Wusthof, which are great. Easy to sharpen and stay sharp. I also have a set of Cutco knives. Sharpest knives I have ever used. I've had them three years and have NEVER had to sharpen them. I am going to send them back for sharpening, just for the heck of it. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. I use them everyday also.

I have a complete set of Wusthof classics that I got in Germany about 6 years ago...I am sure they will last a lifetime. But, I do want to get a granton edge slicer

I checked the Americas test kitchen and they ranked the Victorinox as the top chef and top slicing knife. I might get one next time I buy a knife or if I don't like the Kiwi's I have on order.

Costco is going to have a Gunter Wilhelm road show in Gig Harbor WA on Nov.5 thru 14. Have heard good things so will check them out.

Back