• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Box/ Options

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Lets say I'm cooking brisket at a contest and this brisket some how over cooks.:rolleyes:.. What would your options be as to present this brisket in a box? Chopped?, Cubed, Just burn ends? Try to slice and hope for the best?

Please include pics if anybody had them. That would be great!.

Over cooked brisket is good brisket. I purposely over cook brisket. I have patterns and many other people agree that over cooked slices do better. Slice it.

Instead of slicing perpendicular to the grain I'd try slicing at a 45° angle to the grain. Or I might try a little thicker slice. Keep in mind that I'm much better at undercooking a brisket.

Well its happened to me and I just made the slices thicker so they wouldn't fall apart.

I guess it depends on how overcooked we are talking....
..but overcooked for slicing may be perfectly cooked for pulled/chopped.
..and burnt ends are chunky enough that it's tough to overcook them.

Nothing says that you have to turn in slices although it's the norm.

My guess would be that you'd be better off turning in properly cooked pulled/chopped beef than overcooked slices.

Your scores may suffer slightly in that the judges may suspect that you overcooked it, but probably not as much as if you prove it to them that you did by putting in slices they can't pick up.

When I get home I will check if i still have the pictures of what I did. I still sliced it but then cut the slice's into about 1"-2" pieces. I got an 8 average for appearence. If I remeber right I also turned in some shredded with it as well. I pretty much did the pull test and it was consistantly pulling apart in those size chunks. Overall I still finished in the top 3rd at that contest and thought for sure I was going to have a DAL.

Back