keep it simple

W

we'll smoke u

I don't know what it was- not anuff time to do it-to many birds to cook- or maybe me being to lazy. But I didn't do anything to the birds I smoked this year but clean and put alittle rub on them and toss in the smoker.

They were the best I have done. The were moist, just the right smoke.
Maybe it's because I have not done one in awhile and it was good to taste a turkey again. Sometimes I think I try to do to much to the stufff I smoke.
Do any of you feel the same way.Sometimes it's best to keep it simple I think.
I hope everyone had a good turkey day.

we'll smoke u said:
I don't know what it was- not anuff time to do it-to many birds to cook- or maybe me being to lazy. But I didn't do anything to the birds I smoked this year but clean and put alittle rub on them and toss in the smoker.

Maybe it's because I have not done one in awhile and it was good to taste a turkey again. Sometimes I think I try to do to much to the stufff I smoke.

Thats all I did.....rinse, dry, and smoke....came out very nice!!!

I did everything from brine, inject, stuff with fruits, rub and glaze and while it was good, it was not noticeably better than it probably would have been it I cut out half of the steps.

That K.I.S.S.(keep it simple stupid) saying makes sense

What about boobs?:shock:

Actually, I agree with everybody about keeping it simple. That is the way I do most of my birds, and birdy boobies too. Just give a little rinse[maybe], dry and toss in the cook chamber, with maybe a little kosher salt to season.
I did a small whole turkey breast that way Wednesday, along with some thighs.

I put the turkey in a brine and also injected it. Then a bit of rub was added. It came out good so I was ok with the extra steps.
Usually, however, I have to agree to keep it as simple as possible.

All I had to take to the thanks party was garlic bread. so mine was moist.

keepin' it simple too

You know I've been tryin all kinds of stuff with my briskets latley....Brother wanted a brisket for thanksgiving day (along with miriad other meats) .I just went back to my "simple rub" ,smoker at 235* cooked till brisket was at 175* pulled let rest till 180-185*....dang thing was as good as any brisket I've ever cooked. Bark was excellent , smoke ring perfect, tenderness about as near perfect as I've ever come (and not gone overboard),moist and..,flavor.....out of this world. I think I'll be going back to my "simple rub" and simple method and leaving all the new ideas alone for a while.:roll:

we'll smoke u said:

I agree Scott, I think when you keep it simple it turns out alot better in most cases. All I did is brined the turkeys put some rub on them and smoked'em. Turned out great, very moist.
I think its the creative part of smoking that causes us to go to the next level and push the limit on stuff, not that its all bad because it isnt, its just the challenge that keeps us going and coming back for more!:p

Sometimes I really believe that my best smoked chickens are the ones that I just use a little salt&pepper on.

You're preaching the gospel, brothers. Yes, keep it simple is the way to go.:-D

I have been smokin' meat for 20 years. I have experimented with rubs, injections, brines, marinating overnight, rubbing the meat, I've done it all.
Got lazy a couple of years ago and just started rinsing the meat, adding my rub and throwing the meat right on the smoker.
No preparation at all!!! For me, it's a waste of time.
My smoked meats are as good or better than when I worked on them for hours or days.
Go figure.
Smoke On!!!!!!

Simple is good.
Salt and Pepper are good.
I call it the LeeBo method :lol:

TIM

scottd said:
All I had to take to the thanks party was garlic bread. so mine was moist.

Hey Scotty what temp did you cook at and what wood did you use on that garlic bread. I'am going to make some today. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you guy's had a good turkey day Brotha.

i thought boobs would get dry when u don't brine/inject them?

I brined my whole bird for 20 hours in salt, brown sugar and some spices, and it was the most moist turkey I have ever made. I'm not sure why I never put this together before, because I always brine my chickens before I smoke 'em.

smokinbadger said:
I brined my whole bird for 20 hours in salt, brown sugar and some spices, and it was the most moist turkey I have ever made. I'm not sure why I never put this together before, because I always brine my chickens before I smoke 'em.

Brown sugar
Kosher salt
Bay leaf

That's written on the white board in my kitchen. The simplest poultry brine I've ever used. I put it up on the board to drill it into my pea brain. KISS.

Back