If anyone NEAR ATLANTA,GA is looking for the perfect 55 gallon barrel for $20.00 to build a smoker (UDS-smoker) out of then give Charlie a call. These are UNLINED barrels so you don't have to burn the liner out and then wire brush it out after that (A lot of work)............

Not so true my friend about the perfect barrel or NOT having to burn them out because you can't see a liner. Unless you get a drum from right from a drum manufacturer or a reconditioning center, there will be a Liner in the drum. Its a Rust inhibitor and it is Clear. You think you are looking at bare metal, but your not. You still would want to do a burn out. just saying.

This is my 17th or 18th UDS not sure I've lost track. My daughter in the service has another serviceman that was so so interested in one and because he was deployed I couldn't say no when he asked her if I could make one for him. Total cost.....our freedom!! So hope he enjoys it and welcome home!

Whoops take this back this one went to my daughters coworker at the hospitol

trying to get all the parts gathered up before I get home so I can get stuck in and have it built for the weekend.
found some 22 gauge online but is it to light for my fire basket or should I wait and find something heavier?

New member here. First off I want to say thanks to everyone and their input. I just bought a new unlined drum today and will be beginning my project tomorrow. My question is:
I have read several people talking about the nipples and nipple caps rusting. Has anyone ever used rustoleum paint on those parts? With them not getting too hot one would think it would help...any thoughts?

So I jumped the gun and started my burn out last night with my weed burner. I believe it is all burnt out. I have a new unlined drum but it did have a greasy feel to it that is my I burnt it out. Better safe than sorry. Is there a certain look or feel you are looking for?

If anyone NEAR ATLANTA,GA is looking for the perfect 55 gallon barrel for $20.00 to build a smoker (UDS-smoker) out of then give Charlie a call. These are UNLINED barrels so you don't have to burn the liner out and then wire brush it out after that (A lot of work)............

Not so true my friend about the perfect barrel or NOT having to burn them out because you can't see a liner. Unless you get a drum from right from a drum manufacturer or a reconditioning center, there will be a Liner in the drum. Its a Rust inhibitor and it is Clear. You think you are looking at bare metal, but your not. You still would want to do a burn out. just saying.

These barrels had food grade mineral oil in them and I did a scratch test and belive me there is no coating inside these barrels. I hear what your saying but believe me these are bare metal...I guess or would think that the mineral oil is rust preventive enough. BUT.....I did remove the paint from the outside with a weed burner so I guess you could say that it was burned out too.

Last edited:
I am starting to get parts for mine. I was thinking of using this for a fire basket. It is 13.5" in diameter and 15" tall. Thoughts?

415Edlh%2B9TL._SY450_.jpg

I am starting to get parts for mine. I was thinking of using this for a fire basket. It is 13.5" in diameter and 15" tall. Thoughts?

415Edlh%2B9TL._SY450_.jpg
Never used one but others have and i dont see why it wont. The only problem i see using this is the holes being too small or too few for the ash to fall through causing your fire to be smothered. If thats the case maybe you could drill the bottom holes a little bigger.

How did you do that??

It looks plenty solid but my only concern would be, for lack of a better term, air flow. There seems to be more solid than hole. Would it breath right in the drum?

My bash at a UDS

Hello, I'm new to the forums and live in the UK. A BBQ in England generally means putting some cheap sausages over half lit coals soaked in lighter fluid.

However, a few years back I learned the dark arts of cooking meat over indirect heat and it's changed my world.

This is my first bash at a UDS. I like to call her Mwfanwy.

6466_10151494086202831_1868212217_n.jpg

This is the day of her maiden burn. I've just seasoned the insides with veg oil and wanted to get the outside nice and hot to harden the paint. It took 4 tins of heat proof paint and she's still not red enough for my liking.

10570_10151494086782831_379654390_n.jpg

It cost a lot more than I expected but apart from sanding out the inside of a burnt out drum, it was a fun project.

10611_10151494086327831_824999793_n.jpg

I couldn't find expanded steel anywhere in the UK so the charcoal bin is an old washing machine drum with loads of holes drilled at the bottom.

1590_10151494086437831_789780789_n.jpg

One of the things that surprised me was how quick the temp goes up. 15 minutes into the burn and she was already coming up to 250f.

181249_10151494086277831_758894194_n.jpg

I was amazed by how easy it is to control the heat and how it just seems to hang there at that temp. This was 6 hours into the burn.

1005067_10151494086412831_1697486866_n.jpg

And finally, 12.5 hours into the burn I went out and checked and she was still parked at 270f. I've no idea how long she kept chugging along as I went to bed.

Next weekend I plan to smoke a pork shoulder and a fatty. It's fathers day on Sunday in the UK and I intend to spend it eating nothing but meat.

Cheers!

Supes - good to see some fellow Brits on here sharing the knowledge with those back home! Your UDS looks great - is it Welsh Dragon Red by any chance? With a name like Mwfanwy I had to wonder!

My Brazilian friends fall about laughing when I show them photos of disposable grills in the UK...

UDS MkII

So - I have completed UDS Mk II - same idea as last time, with some modifications:

- new handles (the MkI has cheap and nasty handles that feel too lightweight)
- smaller main ball-valve - uses a 3/4" and not a 1.5" which is just too awkward to source the fitting parts for.
- Directional exhaust - this just turns, so you can move it depending on where the breeze is blowing from. It seems to make quite a difference.

35mkr5u.jpg

I did a Brazilian Cupim on Saturday - this is the 'hump' from a Bramha bull, and it's a cut of meat with fat marbled through it, that benefits from a low & slow. I rubbed it with Dijon mustard first, then added some dry onion flakes and salt, and popped it in for 10 hours. Temperatures seemed fairly stable between 230F ~ 260F with my unreliable meat probe measuring ambient temps, and my overly-wide charcoal basket.

I foiled the meat for the last hour - the finished product:

2ujjplt.jpg

The meat was pulling apart with a fork, and still really moist. There was a good smoke ring too:

2ykmm91.jpg

Lessons learned for next time:
- I need the proper thermometer. I have an ambient one to fit this weekend, and a Maverick on order from Germany which will arrive in July.
- The new charcoal baskets will be 14" diameter (down from 18") as it needs to be more narrow to ensure the burn moves downwards nicely.
- The directional exhaust makes a difference if cooking outdoors without wind shelter - if the wind changes, and is blowing down the flue, it impacts the temps.

looking good Supes
I'm having bother finding expanded metal as well,B&Q have some but it's a bit light
what size holes did you put in the washing machine drum and how many did you drill?
johnny

Supes and CambuiAl - Nice looking UDS's...makes me want to go out and build another...if only I knew where I could get good ideas...hmmmmmmm

Back