View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

[QUOTE=plakers;2382977]No Im talking about that small blob that sits atop and starts the separation of the flat and the point. Costco flats are already pretty well trimmed. I thinned down the layer on the CAB packer I did. What I dont cut out is the real fatty outter edges that sometimes gets trimmed from the brisket(as seen in videos I have watched.)

Anybody who can explain this alot better than me?[/QUOTE]

If you can push on it with your finger and it's squishy, it's soft fat that will render nicely when cooked. If it feels hard and unforgiving (almost always the type of fat that sits between the flat and the point on a whole packer brisket), it's hard fat that will remain as such and is no good for eating. Hard fat can be found on other large cuts of beef also...especially the primal and subprimal cuts.

How's that?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote