• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dumb ?. Maybe. How do you guys get your grill marks?

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I see on here all the time these fantastic meats that are cooked so well and they have those awesome straight lined grill marks. How the fark do y'all do it?! Am I missing something because mine always look like a damn maze.

i recently just got a Weber that has brand new uncoated cast iron grates. I can get awesome char marks in 4 minutes on any piece of meat i stick on there. I will never go back to stainless steel. Here is some chicken i just grill a little earlier. those marks are after 4 min at about 550

734549_433692743369877_871200128_n.jpg

Place the meat at a 45degree angle and at the halfway point of cooking on that side rotate it at a 45 degree angle in the opposite direction. Helps to have the grates nice hot too.

That's how I do it, others may have a fancier way.

Yeah, it's grill grates. Cast iron preferred, at least for me.

If you prefer CI, home depot sells stok ci grates on their website for around 40 dollars, plus more for the inserts, and academy sells a char broil one thats interchangable with an 18.5 and 22.5 inch kettle for around 30 bucks.

Craycort are also really good but two or three times as expensive.

Yeah I believe I got mine from Amazon. I get most of my stuff from Amazon these days... home delivery, ooh, ahh. Plus I pay for the freaking Prime membership anyway, and my goal is to get about 2,000 dollars worth of shipping for 80 dollars worth of subscription. I'm going to take over the world somehow because of this, I haven't figured out all the details though.

Grill marks. Grill marks? We don't need no stinking grill marks! :becky: classic movie mod

I stopped caring about grill marks 20 years ago, when I discovered that even browning of my meats tasted better.

Look at it this way, Applebee's serves steaks with great looking grill marks. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse serves an evenly charred crust on a medium rare steak. Prime steak houses don't do grill marks.

Do you want to serve up Applebee's steaks, or Ruth's Chris steaks?

CD

I use a cast iron grate from a old grill on my OTS with RO lump and get really good marks.

Look at it this way, Applebee's serves steaks with great looking grill marks. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse serves an evenly charred crust on a medium rare steak. Prime steak houses don't do grill marks.

But thats b/c the great steakhouses cook from the top down.

Grill marks. Grill marks? We don't need no stinking grill marks! :becky: classic movie mod

I stopped caring about grill marks 20 years ago, when I discovered that even browning of my meats tasted better.

CD

Applebee's

CD

Ruth's Chris for me, please. Best porterhouse I've ever had in my life was in their location near downtown Portland. Amazing steak.

CD
Ruth Chris also uses a 1600 degree broiler which they cook steak in butter... Amazing

CD

I agree. Grill marks look nice, but a nice charred crust gives you superior flavor.

I remember many years ago my after-school job at Burger King. I had to stamp every burger with a stamp dipped in a liquid smoke solution of some sort to make the fake char marks and add smoke flavor like they were char-broiled.

I remember many years ago my after-school job at Burger King. I had to stamp every burger with a stamp dipped in a liquid smoke solution of some sort to make the fake char marks and add smoke flavor like they were char-broiled.

Were can I get one of those............:shock:

I use the sear grate on my webber it works awesome, I have the webber wok too! will probably have a full set of cast iron grates soon though

Back