View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cack View Post
I'm doing a big cook in June, and thinking about setting the pit up for a cook overnight, so all of the food will be as fresh as possible and not have to hit the fridge any.

I read about everyone doing overnight cooks, but I just don't see how it's possible. I have a 36 Lang, and it holds temp GREAT, but it definitely won't for 5-6-7 hours for sleep.

Right now, I'm cooking with charcoil and pecan logs. If I'm rolling with straight wood would that give me a longer burn time? If I get some hardwood or something will that extend those times that would let me sleep and cook at the same time?

I haven't done a cook with pure wood yet (because I haven't been able to find any). So I really don't know how it cooks with all wood.
The best trick would be to use a temp controller so you can get a couple hours of sleep. You will still need to get up and every 3 hours or so to check the fire and stoke it if needed. Overnight cooks take commitment and regardless of whether your cooker can go 20 hours at 225 with out touching it, most guys end up awake at multiple times of the night to check on it. The results are worth it though.

Thanks from:--->