Breaking the seal...the first smoke

O

OrleansAg

It took a couple of months to get my BWS Chubby in, but after a healthy unboxing, I fired it up yesterday. Wanted to share my first smoke and ask if anyone wants to throw advice, I'm all ears.

Went with charcoal briquets (natural, no filler, etc.) and picked up a few types of wood (cherry, hickory, apple). I decided to try two racks of ribs and a shoulder. Thought those would be easier with which to start.

Started a half chimney of coal and put it in the back corner of the firebox, then filled the rest of the box with unlit charcoal. I'm going to try starter cubes in the box next time, as I'm on a wood porch and handling the lit chimney into that small box, that doesn't pull out all the way...seemed tougher that I thought. Any advice on starter cubes in the BWS, or other ideas to avoid the chimney?

Put in water and let it come up to temp with both intakes open. It got to almost 300, so I got it to come back down to 220-240 with just one intake open about a half inch or less. I settled in two pieces of apple wood and two of hickory. One piece each in the fire and two pieces in the unlit section...is that a good technique? Or should you smoke early?

Got about 5 hours out of the briquets. Had the water pan half full and the heat diverter in. And that was with me opening the box and cabinet much more than normal, since it was all new to me. Also, I'm in Seattle and it's close to 35 and was super windy last night. So that seems pretty good. If you've got a lit firebox and you want to add more to extend the smoke time, would you pour un lit on top of the lit?

The ribs came out great, at least for a first effort in my bias opinioned. I didn't wrap in foil or spray with apple cider. Just put on a homemade rub and let them go. After 5 hours the shoulder wasn't ready, but it was getting really late, so I pulled and finished in the oven. (pardon the heresy). Both didn't seem oversmoked and tasted good. But I'll surely be trying a lot of combinations and recipes.

Anyone have tips for handling the ash pan in the fire box easier? It seems weird that you have to lift it up and slide it over the lip of the smoker...vs. some sort of support that it would rest on.

Pardon the long post, but it's nice to finally get to smoking vs. waiting for the shipment. Oh and I have a DIgiQ DX, but decided to try the smoker without it first.

OK, I did my second smoke. This time a started with two Weber starter cubes in the back left of the firebox and just covered with briquets and filled the rest of the firebox. Lit them and opened all the intakes. This was slower, of course, than using the chimney, but more controlled. It took about 40 min to hit 230-40. I smoked a chicken and a pork butt.

I ended up adding the pork butt after the chicken for my neighbor, since I had only planned for the chicken. So needed to add briquets during the smoke. I just dumped unlit on top. That seemed to work and the BWS kept the temp just fine.

Happy new year and if any of you have advice, I'd appreciate it.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2(1).JPG

I suggest you checkout the backwoods forum on their website. plenty of good info over there.

I believe there is a mod to boost the ash pan using angle iron so you dont have to deal with the lip.

5hrs seems a little on the low end IMO for run time but my chubby is 6" longer (lol) and running dry I did a 10hr cook with plenty extra at 250-260.

My guru tends to overshoot 10 degrees if I dont have to very closed up

I've only cooked on my g2 chubby twice now and just got my party today and will season it up tonight, but here is a post I did on my first g2 chubby cook.

The g2 is deeper, but close in size. I use 2 cubes in the back like you did and I really like how that works. Once it was at 250 it held really well the whole cook and smoked for a long time. 12hrs until I went to bed and it was still going. Obviously the charcoal tray is deeper in mine, but the method of just adding unlit like you did works well and is how I know a lot of people do it.

I don't have much more experience, but will over the next few weeks. Doing a big cook Friday.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150301

Just traded in my Chubby for an Extended Party.
All you need is two or three lit briquettes added to the basket, right front corner. I just add one starter cube tucked under the right front. Leave door/vents open for the first 20/30 minutes then close door and leave vents open until you reach 50 deg below your target. Close the left vent completely and right vent leave open maybe 1/2 inch. Your draft should be wide open and NEVER needs closing. Always adjust temp from lower vents. I add water in the beginning. The above method I was getting about 8 hours at 225, 6 hours at 275.

I added a couple 16/16" tiles under the basket to lift it up but I didn't like the space it took up above the basket for wood chunks. I just bought some welders gloves to help lift out the basket.

Thanks for the tips. The 5 hours I got was my first smoke and it was cold. So I know I was opening up the doors to check it out way more than normal. Also, I've not really filled the tray up all the way with briquets. Will have to try it full to gauge the time.

I agree that if I put something to life the tray for easier sliding, it would reduce the top space for wood. I was just concerned that over time dragging it over the lip of the smoker would cause it to rust faster (I'm in Seattle, and it's usually wet here)

Also, I ordered some "charcoal gloves"

One more question, do most folks put meat in a pan to catch the drippings? I just put my butt and chicken on the grates and their drippings just ended up in the water pan.

BTW, not sure why that first pick is sideways...

Clean up is easier with a pan to catch the drippings. But I don't always use one.

Thanks for the tips. The 5 hours I got was my first smoke and it was cold. So I know I was opening up the doors to check it out way more than normal. Also, I've not really filled the tray up all the way with briquets. Will have to try it full to gauge the time.

I agree that if I put something to life the tray for easier sliding, it would reduce the top space for wood. I was just concerned that over time dragging it over the lip of the smoker would cause it to rust faster (I'm in Seattle, and it's usually wet here)

Also, I ordered some "charcoal gloves"

One more question, do most folks put meat in a pan to catch the drippings? I just put my butt and chicken on the grates and their drippings just ended up in the water pan.

I know a lot of BWS uses say the dripping in the water pan can sometimes be a pain to clean out. I currently pan cook my big meats and when I did ribs I put a pan at the bottom to make clean up easier. Worked well.

That chicken looks like AWESOME, looks like its about to pop with juices!!

Back