• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pit Barrel Cooker

Just to get some pictures involved, I fired up the PBC for the first time today and did some chicken thighs and brats. I used just the grate today because the thighs were just a tad small to hang. I figured there was noting wrong with using the grate and saving the inaugural hanging cook for Ribs.

I also ended up getting a "family photo" while cleaning out the spice cabinet. :becky:

I did up the thighs with Weber brand "Kickin' Chicken" seasoning I got in a Weber sauce and seasoning kit for Christmas. It had a little heat from the red pepper seeds but overall tasted really good. I wouldn't mind having a larger bottle of the stuff..

I filled the basket with off brand charcoal I had laying in the shed :tsk:. I had lump but it was an unopened bag and the briquettes bag was only about half full. Decided to kill the briquettes to give me an excuse to go buy some stubbs. I added four chunks of Hickory and lit about 10 briquettes in a chimney starter. No lighter fluid like the directions said because I don't own any. The 10 white hot briquettes worked just fine to get the fire going. 30 minutes after walking outside to light a fire, the barrel was hot, smokin', and ready for some chicken and brats.

Unfortunately, the plated product didn't last long enough to get a picture, but I assure you, it was farking delicious!! Enjoy the pics fellas!! :thumb:

Try it WITHOUT wood next time...I think it's even BETTER :)

I'm a believer! Yardbird was tender, juicy, and had great flavor. Here's the results:

82201DD5-9786-4BED-9ECB-4356F007B358-792-00000089394EE009.jpg

I can't believe it was that easy. :laugh:

I see bricks under the PBC. Did you not get the horseshoe stand out of the bottom of the barrel? That's what it's for -- keeping the cooker off of the ground. :wink:

John

I see bricks under the PBC. Did you not get the horseshoe stand out of the bottom of the barrel? That's what it's for -- keeping the cooker off of the ground. :wink:

John

The horseshoes are sitting on top of the bricks. You just can't see 'em in the pic. Just wanted more space between the wooden deck and the bottom of the barrel.

Alright. I just read the six pages of this thread and went to grilling.com and signed up for the discount code. I've been wanting to put together a UDS, but for me, this looks like the way to go.

A couple of quick questions for those in the know...
1. Can I use Stubbs for this? I will/can use Kingsford, but it is a personal thing...
2. Any reason (or need) to use lump in this instead of briquettes?

Thanks guys.

Alright. I just read the six pages of this thread and went to grilling.com and signed up for the discount code. I've been wanting to put together a UDS, but for me, this looks like the way to go.

1. Can I use Stubbs for this? I will/can use Kingsford, but it is a personal thing...

Thanks guys.

1. Yes, but the PBC is designed around Kingsford Original (blue). See my head-to-head review on my blog.

2. No. Lump is far too irregular and unpredictable.

John

Thanks guys.

1. Sure. I used off brand briquettes today for my PBC cook and it still burned hot for a good usable 8 hours. If the off brand can do it Stubb's ought to be able to as well. Fact is, Stubb's is all I am going to be using in mine once this bag of off brand runs out. Like John said, it was designed around Kingsford, but I think using a different brand isn't going to hurt. Cook times and temps might run different but you just have to figure out what works.

2. Lump I think would burn too hot and too fast in the PBC because the intake is preset. On a UDS, lump works because you can control the intake and thus the temperature, but again, it wouldn't hurt to experiment a bit.

Sparky is another that loves his PBC!
My condolences on losing your Weber's, you will want a few back...

Oh, and by the way... as I continue to use this PBC, the more the above comment is turning out to be false! ;)

Yall talked me into it. Should be here soon!

Sucka ;) It will quickly become your go-to cooker!! I sold everything minus my Weber Genesis gasser... that's how much I like this thing. I find it is soooo easy that I want to cook outdoors even more now. NO HASSLE + OUTSTANDING RESULTS = MORE BBQ :)

Just wondering. What if you put 4 holes in your UDS added some rebar and got some hooks. Would it be the close to the PBC? Oh, and plugged the exhaust vents.

Just wondering. What if you put 4 holes in your UDS added some rebar and got some hooks. Would it be the close to the PBC? Oh, and plugged the exhaust vents.

Not sure...do you have a 55 gallon barrel? These are 30 gallon. In addition to that, according to Noah (owner of PBC), it took him 30 messed up barrels before nailing it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try...

Not sure...do you have a 55 gallon barrel? These are 30 gallon. In addition to that, according to Noah (owner of PBC), it took him 30 messed up barrels before nailing it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try...

yeah I've got a 55. But I'm thinking, after watching the videos, that four holes some rod and hangers and i can give it a try. Then if I really like it, buy a PBC from Noah. Then cover up the holes with bottle openers :becky:

yeah I've got a 55. But I'm thinking, after watching the videos, that four holes some rod and hangers and i can give it a try. Then if I really like it, buy a PBC from Noah. Then cover up the holes with bottle openers :becky:

Go for it...if nothing else, I think it would satisfy the curiosity of a lot of us!

It is doable on a 55 but I don't know how the results would compare. Would be interesting to compare. I don't know about others, but I like the Pit Barrel because it runs at a hotter temp than a standard 55g UDS. The way I think of it is PBC=Hot and Fast and UDS=Low and Slow.

A standard UDS comes in handy when you have the time to do a 10lb pork butt over the course of 12-16 hours. The PBC can have it done in about 6; a much shorter time frame to deal with, which is good if you have deadlines for when your food has to be done. Sure you could crank up the heat in your UDS, but a bigger barrel to heat means more charcoal that needs to be burned.

Another company markets a 55gal version of the PBC. The D-Meat Barrel is essentially the same thing but in 55gal size and with a price point of $400. Its made from a drum that is specially made for the company which basically jacks up the price in the final bill. Plus it adds (without the customers request or customization) side tables, and fancy metal work to use the lid as the exhaust damper. All frills that some people can do without. There are some youtube vids of it and an old thread here on the brethren about it. Its an interesting product, but compared to the PBC for $225 with the discount coupon from Grilling.com, its a no brainer! :cool:

Ok, so I was FINALLY able to try one of my favorites on the PBC tonight... baby back ribs :) I can honestly say the following:
1) This was hands down the easiest rib cook I have ever done. Trim and rub ribs, light PBC, wait 20 minutes, hang ribs, pull at 2.5 hr mark and sauce, return to PBC for 30 minutes, pull and enjoy. ABSOLUTELY NO FOIL IS NEEDED!!! And only 3 hours!!
2) These ribs were outstanding. Everyone that we fed had nothing but rave comments.

I have no idea how these things don't burn...they are hanging within 2-3 inches of the charcoal. And they are perfectly and evenly cooked top to bottom... amazing!!

This PBC continues to blow me away!!!

Last edited:
Yep, I had the same "I don't get it, but it works really well" experience late last summer, as I documented on my blog. The PBC is simply the simplest BBQ cooker on the planet. I've stopped trying to figure out why (a scientist couldn't either), and now I just enjoy brain-dead-easy BBQ bliss.

John

P.S. This is a phenomenon that allowed Noah and me to beat "The Godfather Of Ribs" (Johnny Trigg) in ribs and pork at a competition last summer, using only Pit Barrel Cookers, Kingsford blue bag, and *gasp* lighter fluid. :wink:

Back