• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My results from "cooking a brisket till it jiggles using parchment/butcher paper instead of foil" and what I learned...

Actually, on top of the brisket is a combination of a smoked onion, smoked and roasted pablano and red fresno peppers that I pickled along with some home made mustard pickles and onions.

Yes, there is just a dab of sauce on there to. I like a lot of flavor if all I'm eating is a sandwhich!!!

And I ate plenty of the brisket by itself to get the full appreciation of how good the brisket was, unadulterated!!!

BTW, This Is Not Your Pork, one of the traditional ways to eat brisket over here is with sliced raw onion, pickles and soft white bread. That sandwich doesn't fall too far off the mark. If you haven't tried it, I happen to like sliced yellow onions, bread and butter pickles and white bread (or a good baguette) with brisket. And as odd as it might sound, a good German mustard on the side. I suggest you give it a try.

Any online or local sources where one can find the pink paper?

For those of you that have tried parchment paper, how many times did you wrap it? Is this just normal ole parchment paper you'd find in the grocery store? I have some, but it seems rather thin for the task at hand. Thanks!

I had some brisket from Mighty Quinn here in Brooklyn NYC. He had it wrapped in clingfilm and was keeping her in a cooler. Jiggled just right!

Any online or local sources where one can find the pink paper?

For those of you that have tried parchment paper, how many times did you wrap it? Is this just normal ole parchment paper you'd find in the grocery store? I have some, but it seems rather thin for the task at hand. Thanks!

Make an X with 2 pieces of standard store bought parchment. Wrap one side of one part of the X over and tuck it under the brisket. Repeat the same step with the other end. Then repeat the same process with the other piece of the X.

You can order the red through www.pospaper.com I believe.

I had some brisket from Mighty Quinn here in Brooklyn NYC. He had it wrapped in clingfilm and was keeping her in a cooler. Jiggled just right!

I have wrapped briskets in cling wrap after it comes off of the smoker. It does work well!

Hey Cque,

Thanks so much for this write up! Did my first brisket and it came out very nice! A little bit more salty then I'd like, but I also added Montreal steak spice, so that might have been it. Granted, this was my first brisket, so I'm not sure if I'm just tooting my horn, but it was definitely moist and tender compared to the very few BBQ places we have in my area.

Quick question, I pulled it out of the rest in the oven at 200 after 2.5 hrs, and sliced. Is this correct? Or is a rest at room temperature required after pulling straight from the oven?

Also, I tried slicing the point with the flat, but find the grain runs a different direction in some parts. Do you separate and rotate the point to match the flat? Might have just been the piece I had, but am not sure. i'll probably try burnt ends next time, but those fatty slices... wow! so gooood. :grin:

Cheers,

Hey Cque,

Thanks so much for this write up! Did my first brisket and it came out very nice! A little bit more salty then I'd like, but I also added Montreal steak spice, so that might have been it. Granted, this was my first brisket, so I'm not sure if I'm just tooting my horn, but it was definitely moist and tender compared to the very few BBQ places we have in my area.

Quick question, I pulled it out of the rest in the oven at 200 after 2.5 hrs, and sliced. Is this correct? Or is a rest at room temperature required after pulling straight from the oven?

Also, I tried slicing the point with the flat, but find the grain runs a different direction in some parts. Do you separate and rotate the point to match the flat? Might have just been the piece I had, but am not sure. i'll probably try burnt ends next time, but those fatty slices... wow! so gooood. :grin:

Cheers,

I take it out of the oven and let it rest 5 to 10 minutes tops.

I just slice right through. I don't worry about the grain to much with the point as it is so tender and just melts any way.

Glad it came out good for ya. I agree, I think that the Montreal seasoning is what put the salt over the top for ya!!!

Is there a difference in the color of butcher paper?

Is there a place to buy red butcher paper in San Jose Ca?

Ed,
Earlier today the wife brought home a big roll from costco over on automation pkwy. I think it was about 5 bucks and their instore brand.
Slow

Thanks. I used two brown paper bags and it came out perfect.

CarolinaQue great wright up and thank you.:-D

Just acquired a roll of commercial butcher paper and used it for spares yesterday. Will never be using foil again - anytime I need to wrap something I will be wrapping with butcher paper. Night and day difference IMO. You don't get the steaming effect of foil and thus the bark and texture of the meat is preserved. You get the desirable effects of foil without the undesirable ones.

Just acquired a roll of commercial butcher paper and used it for spares yesterday. Will never be using foil again - anytime I need to wrap something I will be wrapping with butcher paper. Night and day difference IMO. You don't get the steaming effect of foil and thus the bark and texture of the meat is preserved. You get the desirable effects of foil without the undesirable ones.

Exactly!!!

Back