UDS Mess

vafish

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Used the UDS on Saturday to cook a couple of pork shoulders. They turned out great. Because of the cold windy weather I bought a water heater blanket and wrapped it up.

Got busy with stuff on Sunday, had to work on Monday, got home about 7 had some left over pork for dinner. Let the dogs out about 10th before going to bed and its pouring rain out.

Now I got a UDS full of water and wrapped in soggy fiberglass.

One of these days I'll learn to put my toys away when I'm done playing with them.

This incident sounds like the perfect learning opportunity.

Yeah I've learned to clean my grill and smoker immediately following my cooks. I took the advice of someone else on this forum and got a tin bucket with a lid. I use the bucket to transfer the hot coals and ash to, the lid snuffs out the fire. After a day to cool I use a screen to sift ash into the trash and to save the larger pieces of lump charcoal for my upcoming cooks. With the ash and hot coals out it makes cleaning the rest seem to me at least to be less of a hassle. The other big thing is I can put the cover back on my smoker or grill after cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a weber grill cover, it worked fine until I put the heater blanket on, now it won't fit.

Does your UDS not shed water? My drum only takes minutes for the fire to snuff out after I close all the vents up and an hour or two to cool off (depending on air temp and breeze conditions of course). Even if it's raining, no water gets into the drum if the lid's on and vent is closed.

Anyway.....lesson learned I guess, eh?

Get yourself a wool blanket from an army surplus store. It won't take on water as well as the fiberglass and even if it does, it'll not get ruined. Plus, pretty heat resistant.

question on the water heater blankets, does the plastic liner melt to the drum? a water heater typically only runs at 140 max so i have been hesitant to try them as i am afraid of the damn think melting if my temps spike for some reason.

Does your UDS not shed water? My drum only takes minutes for the fire to snuff out after I close all the vents up and an hour or two to cool off (depending on air temp and breeze conditions of course). Even if it's raining, no water gets into the drum if the lid's on and vent is closed.

Anyway.....lesson learned I guess, eh?

Get yourself a wool blanket from an army surplus store. It won't take on water as well as the fiberglass and even if it does, it'll not get ruined. Plus, pretty heat resistant.

My vents are just holes drilled in the lid. Without a cover on it all the water that lands on the lid runs in the holes.

So far I haven't got mine hot enough to melt the cover of the hot water heater blanket.

A friend of mine recommended using a welding blanket.

where you at in the Commonwealth?
Not to hijack the thread but I'm thinking of doing a bash in a few months when the weather breaks with all those interested in the area.

The welding blankets available from Harbor Freight are fiberglass and will give you the serious itchies if you so much as touch them. They also melt really easily...

I have had a grease fire in my UDS that caused the high temp paint (550 degrees) on the exterior to burst into flames. Be careful what you put on the exterior.

where you at in the Commonwealth?
Not to hijack the thread but I'm thinking of doing a bash in a few months when the weather breaks with all those interested in the area.

Funny was just thinking the same thing.

I'm in north western Fairfax county.

Might even have a location we could use for a small fee. Probably no alcohol.

Back on subject, uds wasn't as bad as I thought, must not of had much rain. I'm just going to dump the water put, scrape out any grease and fire up a small batch of charcoal to dry everything out.

Blankets on drums???

Really not necessary.

any uninsulated smoker will suffer the effects of cold and especially cold wind on the exposed surface. i notice a huge difference in maintaing a stable temp and fuel consumption when i am not fighting the wind and the cold. if insulation wasnt an advantage, why would people use insulation on their double walled cabinet style smokers?

Back