• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

• It's Bacon time again! (a LOT of pr0n!!)

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Freezer ran out... What to do? Make more of course!!! :thumb::thumb:

Got a pork belly............. or 8:wink:
1e90d7d5.jpg

Unwrapped 2 and washed them up along with a boneless shoulder and a "money muscle" for buckboard:
da3b427a.jpg

bbc4fe25.jpg

Made my salt cure and mixed it with "wet sugar"
8fcd80d0.jpg

20727a71.jpg

I put this on a slab of belly, and the 2 buckboards then bagged them up and put them in the fridge to cure:
64637dff.jpg

a04db1dd.jpg

Did up a herb rub for a Savory bacon, rubbed it and threw this one in the fridge as well:
03e7e422.jpg

c30182da.jpg

After just over a week they came out the fridge & I washed and patted them dry then put them back in the fridge overnight to finish drying the outside:

Savory bacon:
a42a84fe.jpg

d9edfd0a.jpg

Wet sugar cure:
80891d34.jpg

25fff1be.jpg

30c57eee.jpg

a63146a4.jpg

Rolled and cut the savory bacon
fa10c9df.jpg

Put it all on the smoker and cold smoked it for 4 hours with some Lychee wood:
90f6e317.jpg

Was a nice night to smoke...
4dc61607.jpg

69dccc46.jpg

After 4 hours cold smoke:
3201fd66.jpg

354155a0.jpg

5c83b9cc.jpg

0ec466e8.jpg

Then raised the heat slowly and brought them up to 140˚
06bdd334.jpg

And the final product the next day sliced up:
ec89cc13.jpg

c5467239.jpg

f8ba2d19.jpg

1b1fd506.jpg

fe16f191.jpg

All stocked up again!!! :thumb: Now what to do with it??

uhh FRY IT!!!!
1ccd4ee6.jpg

It was goooood!!! :heh: Thanks for looking everyone!!!!
Cheers

Phrasty, you never cease to amaze me. I'm definately gonna try that cold smoke stage before going for the heat. You've got some beautiful colour there and I'm really impressed with those spice mixes in the cure.

Cheers Mate!

Bill

Why did you intentionally raise the tem,p at the end? I thought the idea was to keep it cold and let the cure and the smoke preserve everything....

LOOKS GREAT BTW! :thumb:

Wow, Lychee Wood I bet that's good!!!! Lychee is my favorite fruit, but it's so hard to find in the US. Has such a great, sweet, fruit punch type flavor. I'm jealous.

Why did you intentionally raise the tem,p at the end? I thought the idea was to keep it cold and let the cure and the smoke preserve everything....

LOOKS GREAT BTW! :thumb:

It's because it was night time in Jamaica and that smoker is not a proper cold smoker. To get the best you can of the smoke in a hot country, you run a cold smoke at night to get the flavour in, and then finish it off with a hot smoke later on so you can actually eat it and live.

Bloody clever really!:clap2:

Cheers!

Bill

it's because it was night time in jamaica and that smoker is not a proper cold smoker. To get the best you can of the smoke in a hot country, you run a cold smoke at night to get the flavour in, and then finish it off with a hot smoke later on so you can actually eat it and live.

Bloody clever really!:clap2:

Cheers!

Bill

thanks! Yummmm-o!

Phrasty, that looks great. This is the year that I finally make some bacon. Get ready for losts of questions :p

Awesome bacon pron Phas!!! But.................

.....do you live next to a prison?

Great job on the bacon and the pictures, Phrasty! Can you please fry a few slices along with a couple of eggs for me? :-D

That is some gorgeous bacon! Beautiful color, and that fried up bacon was , well, just mean:becky:, yum.

wow..all i can say is...that's a bacon lovers dream! Oh, what's up with the concertina wire around your smoking area? LOL

Another farking fantastic post! :clap2:
I've got 10# of pork belly in the freezer I'm about to go to town on. I've only made a couple batches of bacon so far, but I think I'm hooked.

Back