first time smoking ribs.

please advise

rub on 3 pounder

UDS 250 degrees

apple wood, KB with royal oak lump

2 hrs unwrapped

apple juice spay

1 hr foil

last 20 min unwrapped glazed with homemade sauce with little apple juice cocktail

turned out tender but have nothing to compare it to. need better quality meats me thinks. also smoked beans and potatoes.

DSCF5643.jpg

DSCF5649.jpg

DSCF5656.jpg

DSCF5657.jpg

DSCF5659.jpg

DSCF5667.jpg

Those look good, think they came out good. Suggestions i could offer would be this...
Were you cooking those over direct heat and how hot. Also you might be right on the meat, try getting some spare ribs that are already trimmed st louis style. And if your store has Sterling silver or some equivalent that is better meat try it out. Better yet find a meat market to hit up, My local meat company is actually cheaper on meat than the store and the meat is better.

I smoke mine indirect with cherry wood at about 275-300, keep lid on for first couple hours and start checking no spray or basting only rub i put on before starting. When meat moves back on bones a bit i start checking for doneness. The bend test is great indicator

ugly drum smoker around 250 degrees. Next time will have better ribs cut st louie at higher temp.

question..st louie style make them cook better? what is trimmed is the fatty parts?

Definitely St. Louis Cut or learn to trim the spares.

Your rub looks like it has a lot of brown sugar. That could be your reason for the blackened appearance.

Keep giving it a try. You will get better with each cook. Or at least you will learn something that will help you the next time anyway.

It wasn't burnt. I actually like that dark bark flavor. I want to try different rubs down the road.

looks good. I third that about the st louis cut. I cook on diff equip than you, but i cook about 240-250 and end up taking longer, by almost an hour. Maybe next time take it a bit further, then start basting the last 30 min and check if you get even more tender? Who knows. you might have nailed it, just giving my friendly advice since i cook about the same temp.

ok next time im thinkin st louie cut with less or no brown sugar rub and just have a good sweet n spicy glaze at the end with longer cookin time. long farkin sentence :laugh:

St. Louis style ribs wont change the flavor. They are just Spare Ribs with the boneless
meat cut off.

Yes this seems very quick for spares at 250. I don't usually do a full 3-2-1 but I still usually keep em in there for about 2.5-1.5-1. Or 3-1.5-1. Each rib is different. But the line u took seems like they might have not been in long enough. Did the meat come clean off the bone ?

Back