Burnt End help

K-Train

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Howdy,
I've only cooked in two contests so far. Brisket (no surprise) has been our lowest score. In my thinking ours aren't "burnt" enough and are too close to what we turn in for slices. How long do you guys put your be's back in the smoker for? Thanks for any and all help.:thumb:
Keith
Fat Maxine's BBQ

For us, the BEs go back in the drum for the entire time that the flat is resting. Usually that's around 4 hours or so.

they dont need to be burnt. just cube your burnt ends an hour before turn in throw some of your rub on them with a little extra brown sugar, foil them in a tray and and put them in the smoker. the sugar will carmalize on them and they'll be ready to go

You guys cube them or put the point back on whole? Wrapped or open?

I dont separate and mine are done when the flat is done...

If you make "true" burnt ends - black and crunchy on the outside - you will be murdered by KCBS judges. If there is unrendered fat in your point, they will score you down for that too.

What they like is basically cubed flat, so it sounds like you aren't far off rignt now.

burnt ends

Thanks. This has all been helpful. Keep it coming.:clap2:

you don't need burnt ends in your box to score well in brisket. just need to cook the brisket right to begin with.

I cook the brisket whole. After the flat is done I seperate the point and flat. Rest the flat and cook the burnt ends another 1 - 2 hours depending on size of the point.

burnt ends

We cook it as a packer cut. Then seperate the point and flat. We cube the point and put it in a pan and coat them with a little sauce. Me thinks from what I'm picking up that we need to put the cubes on longer. I also will try adding a little brown sugar as one of you recommended.
Keith
Fat Maxine's BBQ

If you make "true" burnt ends - black and crunchy on the outside - you will be murdered by KCBS judges. If there is unrendered fat in your point, they will score you down for that too.

What they like is basically cubed flat, so it sounds like you aren't far off rignt now.

Actually, I think most teams cube the point.

I split my packer prior to cooking and cook them both the same. When the flat comes off, I cube the point, add some seasoning and sauce, and put it back into the cooker until they are done. Notice I didn't put a time on it, there are times they are done in an hour and times they take closer to three hours... Any way, this is what they look like when they are ready...
2010-12-04011.jpg

DSCF2250-1.jpg

DSCF2509.jpg

Wow Jeff. I damn near licked my screen looking at those pics. Beautiful!

i put the point back in whole, in a covered pan after reseasoning a little.

after an hour or so, it comes out of the pan to get a little crunchy.

back into the pan to finish rendering. sauced, cubed and turned in.

my BE's are great...my flat, not so much.

Back