Chicken Wing dilemma

Badgeman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the skin on the wings getting tough when I'm smoking them. I like to hit 'em with some heavy smoke, and am finishing them in just over 90 minutes. I've tried a couple strategies to include mopping with a butter/rub marinade during the process (which helped), and brining them. Still a bit tougher than I'd like. I'd appreciate any advice as I'm trying to make chicken wings a cornerstone of my diet. Thank heavens their good for you, right?:becky:

air dry em in the fridge for a couple hours.

brush em with some melted butter, and onto the cooker, indirect, @ 350*, could be higher if you'd like em faster.

this does it for me everytime.

Grill them on higher temperatures at 350-400 degrees.

That will get the skin where you want it.

2d0efe56.jpg

If the skin is really fatty and feels thick, I will cut the little triangle out of the elbow. This seems to let them cook more even. I just use kitchen shears.​

i get wings that are cut into flats and drums. Toss in oil and rub, cook at 350 or so, and it works every time.

I usually do a wet rub, where I'll mix whatever rub I want with some canola oil, into a very thin paste and make sure the entire surface of the wing is coated. Higher heat and it comes out great.

The way I do wings is: Cut wing tip off, throw all wings in largest bowl I have pour on regular olive oil, dump on large amount of rub (I prefer weber's kickin' chicken for wings), toss for a few minutes until oil and rub evenly coats everything smoke on smoker @ 300*F give or take, until the appropriate color/done-ness. I've had this take anywhere from 90-240mins depending on the temp of the wings.

Maybe I'm not as picky about my skin, but I've never had the skin turn out unsatisfactory, at least as far as my family is concerned, and it never comes off all in one floppy/rubbery/chewy piece.

finish wings by deep frying at 360 for about 4 min perfect

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice. The brethren come through again. I can't wait to try it this weekend. I'm thinking I'll finish them in a fryer next and see how that works. Great ideas, all.

Back