Beer Braised Italian Sausage w/caramelized Onions & Green Peppers

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I had to work two 12-hour overnight shifts at the hospital this weekend and I slept most of the day today, so my Independence Day cooking was pretty much farked from the beginning, but I managed to toss something fun together for dinner anyway...

20110704_Sausage_0280.JPG

I started out with a pack of mild italian sausage, a fat vidalia onion sliced up, a julienned green pepper, some EVOO and a bottle of Sierra Nevada's Glissade. (Glissade has slowly become one of my favorite beers for cooking.)

20110704_Sausage_0281.JPG

I set up the kettle for some direct/indirect heat cooking. I also tend to use these Weber foil pans over and over again. I bought a 10 pack of them recently and have only used one so far... I think I have used it for this purpose 4 or 5 times now...

20110704_Sausage_0282.JPG

I tossed my 12" iron skillet on the direct heat side of the grill and let it get good and hot and then poured in enough EVOO to coat the bottom of the pan...

20110704_Sausage_0284.JPG

I tossed in the sausage and very lightly browned it... not too much... just a little...

20110704_Sausage_0285.JPG

Then the onions and green peppers go in and let them saute for about 5 minutes or so with the sausages...

20110704_Sausage_0286.JPG

Next we toss in a whole bottle of Sierra Nevada Glissade beer. You can use whatever beer you like but the beer choice does have a profound effect on the flavor of your finished product. I find that Glissade has enough sweetness and hop presence that it shows through very well in the flavor of the food...

After dumping in the beer, cover the kettle and let the sausages steam in that beer until the beer is almost completely reduced out of the pan. This takes 20-30 minutes depending on how hot you are cooking...

20110704_Sausage_0288.JPG

After the beer has reduced out, take the sausages out and finish cooking them over either direct or indirect heat... your choice on that one. Move the onions and green peppers off to indirect heat at this point and let them caramelize...

20110704_Sausage_0291.JPG

Serve these bad boys any way you like... I served mine on some brat buns. A little dijon mustard goes well on these too!

Cheers and happy Independence Day!

man i love me some sausages with onions and peppers! Looks awesome. I don't think I could bring myself to pour a Glissade in there though...it would be going into my tummy! great stuff.

man i love me some sausages with onions and peppers! Looks awesome. I don't think I could bring myself to pour a Glissade in there though...it would be going into my tummy! great stuff.

I had enough of it for all uses :)

That looks like it's worth eating! I just got some fermented hot pickles that I want to try like this with brats... I have to go get some sausage now...

Back