Gatlinburg, TN

Elkhound

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Takin the family on a trip to the Smokies. Taking I-10 from Houston to Baton Rouge, LA then I-12 to a little north of Slidel, LA. Taking I-59 North up through Mississippi (Leatha's in Hattieburg is a must stop. Anyone want some sauce?) and through Alabama to Chattanooga, TN. Will be staying somewhere around Gattlinburg, TN for 10 days or so. If there is any good Q to be found along my route or in the Gattlinburg area I am taking suggestions. The cabin we rented has a smoker and a grill so I will be Q'in some of my own too, that is when I'm not in the hot tub !!

TangSooDooMan,
can you help our brother out here?

Tang is our resident Slidell area expert

Nice plan, Rick. A cabin with a smoker and a grill. Sounds like heaven. Any golf nearby? I would be interested in details.

I think there are several cources in the area, but we have 7 people in the van + luggage. No room for my clubs. Plan on hiking, horseback riding, river rafting, and spending as much time as possible either in a hot tub or lounging on the porch doing nothing.

I hear they taste like chicken.

Go to Cades Cove. There's a good hike to a water fall there and there's lots of wildlife to be seen.

Including Tasty Bears.

Cades Cove, I think thats where we are supposed to do the trail ride. Hike sounds like a good one, I will put it on my list.

Do the Roaring Forks Motor Trail too. Take plenty of digital camera memory storage.

Clingman's Dome is an easy one in that you can drive most of the way. Top of the World Mod.

ok, thanks for the info. At the rate I am going, my list is gonna be so full of things to do that I guess I won't be in the hot tub as much as I thought. I guess thats what night time is for, soakin and chillin.

Rick, do you have any info on this place? Website maybe??

Let us know if the bear shits in the woods.

Pigeon Forge has as much to do as there is in Gatlinburg. Both towns full of stuff to do. If you go thru Gatlinurg and take the mountian highway to Cades Cove is a real scenic trip. Lots of places to picnic, wade, hike, etc. If you want a little side trip you can take a short drive East of Knoxville to Asheville, NC and get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and it will take you back to the Smokies. Lots of beautiful views. It will take you through Cherokee, NC which is an indian reservation on the backside of the Smokies. I go to the Smokies at least once sometimes twice a year.

Haven’t made it to Gatlinburg, but lot’s of folks from down here go on a regular basis. I’ve heard nothing but good stuff. The last time I did the Blue Ridge Parkway, the girl friend (at that time) and I had an argument just as we were underway back home. Complete silence for miles and miles and miles of some of the most beautiful twisty winding road and country side you would ever want to see. Couldn’t wait to get home BY MYSELF. :twisted:
Haven’t seen her in years!!!!
Gonna take that trip again someday, under more favorable circumstances. :wink:
Take lots of pics You’ll love it!!!!!

Bad To The Bone BBQ. Just opened here in Slidell a few months ago and it's pretty good (only about 1 mile off I-12). When your on I-12 the last exit before I-59 is Hwy 11 (I think it's exit 83). Take a left go back under the interstate and take a right at the light, you will go over the RR tracks and go down about 3/4 of a mile. It's on the left across from the bowling alley. If you make the light you went to far. I work real close, and live real close, if you want company, let me know any excuse for BBQ!

TangSooDoMan said:
Bad To The Bone BBQ. Just opened here in Slidell a few months ago and it's pretty good (only about 1 mile off I-12). When your on I-12 the last exit before I-59 is Hwy 11 (I think it's exit 83). Take a left go back under the interstate and take a right at the light, you will go over the RR tracks and go down about 3/4 of a mile. It's on the left across from the bowling alley. If you make the light you went to far. I work real close, and live real close, if you want company, let me know any excuse for BBQ!

Um, I told you Tang was our guy in Slidell

Thanks TSDM!!

Back