Cranberry brined smoked turkey

K

Koopdaddy

So I smoked the bird today. I am doing this for a local charity doing a community dinner tomorrow.

I brined the turkey in cranberry juice overnight. I stuffed it with apples, onions, cinnamon sticks and rosemary, thyme and sage. Rubbed it with some canola oil and salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic and onion powder, and paprika and smoked it for about 7 hours. MY UDS hovered right around 230-250 the entire time.

Took it out when it reached 160 and let it rest, covered with tin foil for about 45 minutes. I then carved it up and packaged it to take to the site tomorrow.

It turned out very juicy and tasty and wish I had everything else to go with it tonight!

I used hickory and some apple wood for smoke.

142dbaa5.jpg

3bc61233.jpg

7934139c.jpg

8a15ca41.jpg

Jared

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding cranberry juice to the brine is a great idea. I think that Alton Brown has a brine recipe that uses orange juice.
Will have to try the cranberry for sure.

I used cherry juice to brine a couple of chickens last summer and they turned out great.

Cranberry juice as a brine for turkey would be very nice. Good job Koopdaddy!

looks good, could you taste the cranberry?

I only had a few bites here and there while carving it, and I thought I could taste it....but it wasn't a strong flavor. I would have to have a comparison bird to really know how much it affected the flavor.

It tasted real good don't get me wrong, just very subtle with the cranberry. I think the only way to really know how much it added would be to do 2 birds one with and one without to compare.

Definitely give it a try.

That would be a great idea for Breast Awareness Month. If you injected the bird with the cranberry juice would it make it pink inside too?

Looks fantastic! I've used cranberry juice in brines before, but never full strength. Good to hear that is a successful option!:cool:

I just recently learned about a new injection, which included both types of what was described in this thread. It used cran-cherry juice. Mixed with some salt, hot pepper sauce, and some other seasonings, and injected and let sit for 24 hours.

Never thought of brining in cranberry or cherry juice...might have to try this.

Jared, how long did you smoke it? never mind I just read your post again

Ross

I dig the sound of your ingredients!
Good looking Big Bird!

That sounds good to me! You pull at 160 and then rest? I usually bring it up higher. Looks like it is done all the way through though.

Back