Boone Co. Fair-Belly Brothers Debut-OK, so it wasn't a sweep

Solidkick

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The Belly Brothers entered their first competition, braved the 20-30 mile per hour wind gusts and then 7 hours of steady rain. There were 38 team s total in the event (I found out from the scoring sheets that there were 2 no shows, making it 36 teams), including the American Royal champions Mizzou Crew, Smoking Guns, and 3 Little Pigs. Several other very well known midwest Q teams were also there. I'll be honest, I was very intimidated. We did some things well, and some things not so well, and we will learn from it.

Here's the results:

Caleb Knigge (Solidkick's step-son) 1st place 11-16 kids Q.
Blake Berkbuegler (Bellybro's son) 3rd place 11-16 kids Q

Chicken-34th
Ribs-29th
Pork Butt-2nd (We farking beat Smoking Guns!)
Brisket-3rd

Overall-12th We missed 11th place by .1 and top ten by 4 points!

Thanks to all the brothers here on the site (and to KC for making the trip down) because we really did take the tips and knowledge from this board and turn out some damn good Q in pork butt and brisket.

A second and third in Butt and Brisket in that "company"-- :D
YOU GUY'S ROCK!!!!!!!
Sounds like the next generation is gonna give ya a run for your money!
WELL DONE- SO PROUD OF YOU.
TIM
Details after you sleep a day or two--OK :!: :lol:

I've got more pictures to post in the photos section when I get time to clean them up. Right now, I'm a little sleep deprived, chilled to the bone, and just plain ass stupid.

JT--Thanks for the Lemon Pie dude! That's my favoorite. And thanks for bringing the wife and 2 year old Ralph out on such a nasty day. My wife says "Ralph's my buddy!" "You...You.....You...." (only JT will Know! :) )

I'm going to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to John and Darrel for letting me participate, thanks to Brother jt for coming out to support us, thanks for all the Awesome support from the Brothers and most of all, Solidkick was Da Man. Farking awesome job Brother.

Two more Brothers bitten by the bug!! What a great weekend :D :D :D :D :D

Great job guys! You had some serious competition and obviously rose to the occassion!! :D

The kids deserve BIG pats on the back, too.

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.

Man I can't tell you how much you guys inspire me.

CONGRATS!
wow

peace
mike

willkat98 said:
Congrats Bros!!
How bout names to those faces
I need names in general these days. The groups grown so much I can't keep track of everybody

I am so glad to know you guys, ANOTHER ROCKIN TEAM from the Brethren. Makes me wonder how long till I can turn out good quality Q.

Good Job Brothers.Remember it only takes one judge to change the out come of a contest.Were they KCBS judges? We had a contest here and the judges were instucted that mourning and had never judged before.

This is soooooo great!!!!! 2 and 3RD.. in that company under crap conditions!! holy sheet... congratulations again!!

Proud Poobah Mod. :)

MrSmoker said:
Good Job Brothers.Remember it only takes one judge to change the out come of a contest.Were they KCBS judges? We had a contest here and the judges were instucted that mourning and had never judged before.

From what I understand, there was at least one KCBS sanctioned judge per group of six. The others were instructed that morning on the point system. Everything starts as a 5, unless disqualified because of not enough pieces to judge, or sauce pooled in the container, or garnish hanging outside of the box. The table captain opens the box, does a quick around the table view to the judges and you are scored for presentation.
It needs to be very eye appealing as appearance is .5714 of your total points.

parrothead said:
If only you 2 had done the ribs and chicken. You would have taken first all around.

When we put the team together, I was asked to do the brisket. I did a pork butt because I already had the smoker going. John also did a pork butt. The plan was to take his to about 180* and slice it, and take mine to pulled temp. and then decide what to turn in. Getting a butt to a perfect slicing temp and being pulled tender, but not falling apart, was an outstanding accomplishment. Both butts turned out for what we were looking for, so we went with it. John put one hell of a presentation together. You HAVE to remember this was the team's first contest, and presentation is a big part of the score. There was a learning curve on the chicken and ribs turn ins, and John got more comfortable with each box.
KCBS "standard" chicken is probably the hardest catagory to please the judges in. This will come with time.
Then he farking nailed the pork and brisket, I mean I was to the point of tears proud. I'm very happy with the team results!!!

Added: John dropped off the scoring sheets, I added the judges scores above the pictures. There was one perfect score given in the brisket catagory (9-9-9), and that was us! The team that beat us out of first place in the pork received 3 perfect scores in the catagory.

John got more comfortable with each box.
John did an awesome job! The quality of the meats is so close, presentation can really make a difference and Johns efforts really paid off.

Back