First Pastrami...pron

sfbbqguy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Decided to give pastrami a try. Followed the Virtual Weber Bullet method as closely as I could.

All in all it turned out very good. Good curing and great flavor. Smoked it to 165* on UDS after the three day cure with TQ and spices.

It wasn't pull-apart tender at first so the first sammies the meat sort-of came out in big pieces and was a bit chewie even though it was sliced paper thin. So I foiled and sent back into the oven at about 225ish until I reached a meat temp of 200*. After that the pastrami was very tender. Not quite as juicy but still VERY good. Didn't last long.

I know the recipe calls for smoking to an internal temp of 165* but is the pastrami supposed to be sort-of chewie? Do others cook to higher internal?

IMG_3594.jpg

Hershey just got a small taste but he liked it too!
IMG_3596.jpg

I think the trick to good N.Y. deli pastrami is to cure it then dry rub with a good pastrami rub, smoke it till 165/170 then steam it till 200 internal temp. Mine is steaming as we speak.
thanksgiving054.jpg

That is a good looking hunk of meat, I always steam before serving, it provides that final tenderizing of the meat. You can steam it whole (traditional style) or steam the slices, which works almost as well.

This was store bought corned beef that I soaked for about 15 hrs. It came out pretty good but next time I will soak it longer and cut back a bit on the fresh black pepper. It was a tad salty and it had to much pepper flavor for me. But all in all I will do it again.
thanksgiving055.jpg

I think the trick to good N.Y. deli pastrami is to cure it then dry rub with a good pastrami rub, smoke it till 165/170 then steam it till 200 internal temp. Mine is steaming as we speak.
thanksgiving054.jpg
Now I'm curious..if steamng a pastrami makes it tender and moist can't you do the same to a brisket after smoking it? My briskets invariably turn out tough and dry.

The pastrami looks great and Hershey is cute.

I was going to suggest steaming as well.

Good call on the steam bath. May try that next time. In the end it sounds like you need to get the Pastrami up to around 200. The first sammies I made with this one I did steam the meat prior to putting on sandwiches but still a bit rubbery. I may not have steamed it enough?

I saw a t.v. show that outlined how Carnegie deli in NY does pastrami, and they load the whole pastramis in a steamer cabinet for an hour before bringing to the floor, where it is held in a steam cabinet for hot service as well. So I suspect it takes to a lot of cooking. I think pastrami is supposed to be a little on the dry side prior to steaming

DSC06747JPGaa.jpg

It's all in the finishing. I do both the foil and pressure finishes, the latter being my favorite. I may try a steam finish on my next one

DSC06750JPGaajpgaaaa.jpg

DSC07705a.jpg

I have a WSM on the way and a good pastrami recipe. I plan on doing a couple of flats for pastsrami. I assume you can vaccuum seal them just like brisket and freeze them.

Any problem? Would you treat it any differently than brisket when defrosting and reheating?

Back