Origins of the pipe offset smoker?

ZILLA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard anything about the origins of the steel pipe offset bbq pit?

The only thing that I have ever heard is that they originated in the oil fields of either Oklahama or Texas and built by the oil field workers. Any thoughts?

I think the story is in Robb Walsh's book "Legends of Texas BBQ" I'll have to find my copy and look for you. Probably be able to do that tomorrow.

Well the day man discovered fire it is believed that the very next day he discovered bbq. So I am speculating on the day man made pipe he discovered the offset smoker or shortly there after.
Dave

yep its in his book. I think he goes into all the nasty gook that was kept in those pipes as well and how they just didn't care. that could be another book though too.

My Brazos pit was built by a welder in the early 80s that worked at Union Carbide. I am scared to uncover precisely why the main chamber does not have one spec of rust in it, not even the bottom.

yep its in his book. I think he goes into all the nasty gook that was kept in those pipes as well and how they just didn't care. that could be another book though too.

I don't think the book pinpointed the exact person(s) or year but I recall the book had a few quotes from the original owner of Pitts & Spitts and he noted that when the economy and oil prices took a dip he had them make the BBQ pits as a way to keep the guys working.

I just got back from my local Borders and they are out of that book but they found one across town. I might swing by there in the AM and have look see.

While I was there I ran across a book called the Republic of BBQ in the Texas section that is a very well written account of some Texas joints along the Colorado river in Central Texas. I thought it very nicely done. May have to pick that up too. Might try Half Price Books too.

Thanks fellas.

I just got back from my local Borders and they are out of that book but they found one across town. I might swing by there in the AM and have look see.

While I was there I ran across a book called the Republic of BBQ in the Texas section that is a very well written account of some Texas joints along the Colorado river in Central Texas. I thought it very nicely done. May have to pick that up too. Might try Half Price Books too.

Thanks fellas.

I was sent an advanced copy of this book. I fell in love with it immediately. It's just amazing.

I thought Gator Rich invented it. At least thats what he told me.

NUTZ

I got that book, but i've been drinkiung. so it will have to be tomarrow

As to the person cited in the book about Oil workers and offests or pipes... Wayne Witworth of Pits and Spits in Houston.

I invented offset smokers.....pipe too.

Seriously, finding the first oilfield pipe smoker origin in OK or TX would be exhausting work. I'm sure it would come down to who built and sold them first.

Back