Request for Advice

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Now, don't misunderstand, my favorite cooking pastime is sitting out on the patio under the big pecan tree drinking Shiner Bock and babysitting the old NBBD offset with a couple of briskets or butts and some ribs. But, like many others, I have a stable of cookers including a small easily portable cast aluminum model that absolutely nails a steak, sausage, or chicken and a horizontal drum grill lovingly handmade by my late father-in-law that is killer on beer-butt chicken and ribs. All these things use charcoal and/or wood and take a while to fire up, so my spousal unit likes me to keep a gasser on hand for spur-of-the moment burgers, dogs, chicken breast, etc for supper during the week. Problem is, I just trashed my second Char-Broil Commercial 5-burner plus side after barely three years service because the cart and the inside firebox both rusted out and it would cost $350 in parts to rebuild. My family spent nearly five bills on the Char-Broil and it ticks me off that they don't hold up. Anybody have experience with a longer-lasting gas grill that I can take a look at? Thanks for any help available.

Find used (5-8 years old) Weber Summit Gold 6 burner. It will set you back some change but w/6 burners, an infra red rotisserie, separate smoking box burner and a side burner you can cook anything on it. Weber service is awesome.

It is a great compliment to a fleet of BBQ rigs.

Weber Genesis Silver...:p Been using mine religiously 2-3 times per week for the last 5 years...still going strong. I wore out my first Genesis in 8 years...:biggrin: Any of the Weber Gassers are all outstanding and moderately priced. IMHO...

Thanks for the input, guys. I was looking at something called a "Bull" that appears to be solid stainless, from the ground up including the grates. Problem is, the things are like $2,500 which is pretty daunting. I think if I was going to spend that kind of dough, I'd be going to see David Klose about something with big wheels.

Any of the Weber gassers. I am on my second one, first one I gave to my son, it's 10 years old and going strong.

Any of the Weber gassers. I am on my second one, first one I gave to my son, it's 10 years old and going strong.

I have a 12 y/o webber gasser that does just fine. I've replaced the grate and "flavor bars" once, but other than that it's still a great grill.

Dave

TT, I feel your pain. I've had my Char-Broil for about 12 months and I'm already seeing signs of deterioration. It was a gift though, so I cannot complain.

The Broilmaster P3 will outlast any grill. I have had mine since 1987. I replaced the burner for the first time when it was 15 years old around 2002-2003, and the second one is still going strong. It lives outside year round, thru NY winters, uncovered and aside from the wooden shelf that it came with being gone, it is still out there and working fine. New ones come with that heavy plastic stuff for the shelving. Body is cast aluminum and the rest of the grill is SS. Warranty is from 5 years on some parts to lifetime on others.

When shopping around, i thought the P3 was pricey, but the sales guy told me this will be the last grill I ever have to buy.. he was right. I have not purchased another gasser since(except for the commercial DCS just becase I wanted it).

Back