All i did on mine was drilled a 3/8 hole in the side and used a rubber grommet so it would get torn up.

must be single

My UDS is almost complete. All that's left is I need to spray the drum with some navy blue paint, however the weather hasn't been cooperating the last few weeks as its been too rainy or cold for painting. I decided to go ahead and hit it with some high heat primer to and go ahead and take it for a test burn. I must say I am thoroughly impressed with this thing! Initially my temps shot up to almost 400 degrees while I was getting things sorted out and I had a hard time getting them to simmer down, however eventually it came down and settled in at 250deg after about an hour. Amazingly it held between 240-260 degrees for the next 13 hours! I only shut it down because I woke up to rainfall but it still had plenty of coal left to burn.

Thanks to all who've contributed so much info to this thread as I'm looking forward to many good cooks out of this new UDS!

My wife would kill me if I kept my drum in the bed room! looks good though.

My wife would kill me if I kept my drum in the bed room! looks good though.

Its just an extra bedroom/guestroom so no issues....plus that was before it go at smokey :)

On another note, got it running today with the flat lid and realized I had some flow issues. After a detailed look over I realized the lid was slightly bent and that one of the intakes was loose...loose enough to cause airflow issues. Gonna add some conduit washers to tighten them down.

Wow! I finally are it through this epic thread. I may have skimmed a few thousand posts:icon_smile_tongue: I am looking forward to my own UDS. I will start out with the KISS method. I really like a lot of these mods though.

Mine started as the kiss method also and has progressed from simple to 3 shelves, a dome lid, a shelf, 3 thermometers, extended air pipes (old fart mod) and two Maverick digitals and 4 wheels.

I have built two new UDS's for this year’s competition season. I have looked for a supply of domed lids that will fit a 55 gallon drum. To date have been stymied thus far. I know that one can purchase used 22 ½ inch smoker or grill and modify the lid to fit. In my search I found a great company "Toledo Metal Spinning" that could make them. They are wondering if there is an interest in the BBQ community to make these and have them as a standard item. These would fit a standard 55 gallon drum with no additional modifications. If you are interested in them doing this PLEASE email Jeff Earley at JEarley@toledometalspinning.com. He is going to keep track of how much interest there is. This would give the BBQ community a source for UDS lids. Please spread the word on other BBQ Forums. Thank you for your help.

031857490935lg.jpg

This is what I used for mine.

What is that and where can I find one?

Also (sorry I am being lazy) what do you guys use to secure the vertical intakes to the drum for added stability. Thanks

Finally getting around to building my UDSs. I've been going through the pages of this thread, and finally after about 200 pages, I just jumped to the end. There is just so much information here, and I'm feeling very confident that I shouldn't have any insurmountable issues arise. I'll try to take pics and post as it progresses... Got two food grade drums (they're a bit tough to come by for reasonable prices up here in NoVA), unfortunately lined, but I don't think that will stop me. Will keep you guys updated!

I have built two new UDS's for this year’s competition season. I have looked for a supply of domed lids that will fit a 55 gallon drum. To date have been stymied thus far. I know that one can purchase used 22 ½ inch smoker or grill and modify the lid to fit. In my search I found a great company "Toledo Metal Spinning" that could make them. They are wondering if there is an interest in the BBQ community to make these and have them as a standard item. These would fit a standard 55 gallon drum with no additional modifications. If you are interested in them doing this PLEASE email Jeff Earley at JEarley@toledometalspinning.com. He is going to keep track of how much interest there is. This would give the BBQ community a source for UDS lids. Please spread the word on other BBQ Forums. Thank you for your help.

This sounds interesting. How would the lids look like? Are they gonna look similar to the Weber lid?

So here is an example of a lid that they currently make. They would have to create a tool to make the lids for the UDS. They are very interested in finding out if there is enough interest for them to make the tool and have these available as a standard item. This would save the BBQ community Money. If it is a special item then there is a tooling cost and a setup fee and all that sort of stuff. If you send an email it doesn't mean that you want one or that you are committing to purchasing one. All it shows is that there is interest. I hope everyone will flood them with emails and they start making them.

Attachments

• Toledo Metal Spinning Lid.jpg
    Toledo Metal Spinning Lid.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 727
barrel to fit a lid

If you start with a Weber lid, you can look for a barrel it will fit, the newer weber lids will fit right on a lot of closed top drums.

To Knitmar: yes I can. I do not work for Toledo Metal Spinning. I was just looking for a lids. I will up date when I speak with Jeff.

Very happy with my UDS cooks thus far. Let me share some photos with you. Thanks again to all the seasoned vets for the tips and advice. Check out my blog where I tried to compile a lot of the frequently asked questions I've seen. http://udsrookie.blogspot.com/

Ribs on the UDS were easy and turned out very nice.
bca94de5-fd82-480d-8e53-1f5c5cdd7c48_zps7d23ea0d.jpg

My 2nd brisket turned out great!
b52c1dac-34f7-49f3-98ba-724fe57ca529_zps18d49240.jpg

Back