Memphis in May

Rightstuff

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My wife and I just got back from Memphis in May. Man.....a great time was had by all! What a party. It was great going as a spectator and not a competitor. Finally got to relax and just enjoy visiting with everyone! I made a lot of new friends but didn't see any Brethren Banners flying.

I'm seriously considering participating in the patio division next year. I looked online for a 2009 team application (just to see wha is required and the fees involved). Does anyone know where I can find out how to apply for the 2010 competition? I know its early but I do not want to wait until the last minute and miss out!

Also, congrats to all the teams that walked. We hung out with Myron Mixon all weekend and were disappointed that he didn't make the finals. His hog was awesome and I thought it would have been hard to beat. But thats just the way it is sometimes!

Glad you had a nice trip. Myron is a great guy, we've cooked against him for many years. We were next to him at MIM '07 and had a blast with him and the rest of the guys on the team. They are hard to beat in any category.

I've never cooked in the patio division at MIM so I don't know what the fees are. MIM usually publishes the applications on the website in October/November each year. Good luck for next year!

My wife and I just got back from Memphis in May. Man.....a great time was had by all! What a party. It was great going as a spectator and not a competitor. Finally got to relax and just enjoy visiting with everyone! I made a lot of new friends but didn't see any Brethren Banners flying.

I'm seriously considering participating in the patio division next year. I looked online for a 2009 team application (just to see wha is required and the fees involved). Does anyone know where I can find out how to apply for the 2010 competition? I know its early but I do not want to wait until the last minute and miss out!

Also, congrats to all the teams that walked. We hung out with Myron Mixon all weekend and were disappointed that he didn't make the finals. His hog was awesome and I thought it would have been hard to beat. But thats just the way it is sometimes!

There are positives and negatives for cooking in the patio division at MIM. Negatives you pay nearly the same amount to enter (apox $300 less) as a regular spot. You only get a 10x25 (maybe 30) spot. The size of your grill is limited (its spelled out the max sq inches but I forget the amount). You can not get a river side booth. Power and water are not near by.

Positives No on-site judging unless you make finals. You can enter all the other categories (anything butt, t-shirt, etc) You are pretty close to the main stage and the turn in tent. You only have apox 30 teams to beat (better odds then 106 rib teams). You are close to the south entrance.

Back