The Joy of Mustard Based Sauce

jocosa

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Somethings you just overlook... such was the case with me and mustard based BBQ Sauce. Got a few friends who's bragging rights revolve around their homemade gourmet mustard, but still... I've never though of it (mustard) as what would be a good BBQ sauce base.

After watching Pitmaster T's vid on "Hit Me Fred" mustard based sauce, I've been intrigued. Have translated the recipe for future use (like soon!), and have started looking for a few commerical varieties to try.

Only one I've tried so far has been Sticky Fingers Carolina Classic - and it's great on pulled pork.

Anyone have suggestions on other varieties I can try... and if you like a mustard based sauce - spill the beans on different ways you use it.

There is a great recipie in Mike Mills Book. Peace Love and BBQ. That book has alot of great info in it. Do any of you use those Mustard Sauces as the slather on your Butts or Briskets prior to the Rub???

Thanks for the recipe tip!

I've always slathered plain yellow mustard before rubs on butts and ribs... but I bet a mustard based sauce, really thin, would be good too.

I've used Butler's "Texas Gold" in the past. My dad and brother seemed to really like it, I'm not the biggest fan of mustard, so, I can't really be a great judge. It may be a Texas only product though, so, maybe not that much help to you.
--Brad

I agree,The Peace Love and BBQ book is loaded with great info. I've been using a mustard base prior to my rub for years. My family really seems to enjoy it.

I would recommend you try the Mustard based sauce from Brother ZBQ and also one from South Carolina called Maurice's.

Somethings you just overlook... such was the case with me and mustard based BBQ Sauce. Got a few friends who's bragging rights revolve around their homemade gourmet mustard, but still... I've never though of it (mustard) as what would be a good BBQ sauce base.

After watching Pitmaster T's vid on "Hit Me Fred" mustard based sauce, I've been intrigued. Have translated the recipe for future use (like soon!), and have started looking for a few commerical varieties to try.

Only one I've tried so far has been Sticky Fingers Carolina Classic - and it's great on pulled pork.

Anyone have suggestions on other varieties I can try... and if you like a mustard based sauce - spill the beans on different ways you use it.

My Mustard based sauce is made for pulled pork, grilled chicken, I mix it with alamaba white for a special glaze for bbq chicken, potato salad, cole slaw white sauce add it for flavor, some in my red sauce and add copious amounts of everything from honey to apricot jam to sweeten it for ribs sometimes.

I am testing it here in Texas.

Oh and one other thing.. you can make more than a gallon of the sauce for what other charge for a bottle.

There is one in the back of the Weber cookbook that came with my lettle. Very good and simple.

The mustard based sauces like Blues Hog and Maurices make are some really good sauces for a change of pace. My personal taste does not want it for a steady diet though. The low country in SC is where the bbq pretty much is all mustard based.

I like mustard on my signature foods, like this brisket :icon_bigsmil:!:

Attachments

• Fark.jpg
    Fark.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 62
  • right out cooler21.5hrslater.jpg
    right out cooler21.5hrslater.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 62
  • brisketslices.jpg
    brisketslices.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 62
Ride up 85 and meet me in Spartanburg, I'll take you to a few bbq joints with some great In-house made mustard based sauces.

I'd sure like that ride to Spartanburg, but it's a long haul for me :sad:.

I'd like to take that tour as well. I had a bottle of Sticky Fingers last year I think and enjoyed it. Barbefunkoramaques mustard sauce is also good. I'm gonna give the other ones listed here a try. I like Mustard Sauce ever so often on pork.

Back