logo

Whole Chicken

Saulnier

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So how do ya'll do a whole chicken for a cook-off? I ususally brine for 8-12 hours and then cook on a UDS using the beer can method. Mine are done in about 3 hours. I have been measuring temps of 250* from the side of the barrel but have recently found that the temp measured through the lid to the center of the cooking grill is about 100* hotter. I rotate the chicken once during the cook. I have seen some that "spatchcock" or butterfly and cook while laying flat. We have a stainless steel numbered tag that I usually place it around the backbone. Nothing can be done to the bird until after the tag is inserted and then you have from Thursday afternoon untill saturday at noon to prep and cook.

How do you cut up the cooked bird without makeing a mess of it?

I filet a breast off of the whole bird. Slice the breast and place it in the foam box with the slices alinged as a whole breast again. I cut a thigh off and make cuts along the meaty side leaving the skin on. I place the "preferated" thigh in the foam box.
I cut off a leg leaving the skin on and make cuts around the leg and down oposite sides of the leg. I place the carved leg in the foam box.
When a judge opens the box the see a breast, a thigh, and a leg. All of the meat in the box is silced so that a judge can remove a slice of breast, thigh, or leg. It takes me about 10 minutes to carve these 3 pieces.
I might try one cooked flat. I might also try bringing for 10-12 hours and then letting the bird sit in the refrigerator for another 10 hours uncovered so that the skin will dry out and crisp up. I would assume at a cook-off that you would want to turn in more of a smoked chicken than a grilled chicken.

What type of comps? IBCA and Lonestar, you have to turn in fully jointed 1/2 bird.

What type of comps? IBCA and Lonestar, you have to turn in fully jointed 1/2 bird.

It is the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo"World's Championship Bar-B-Que contest"It is not sanctioned by any organization.The format is close to IBCA from what I can see.We do not have to turn in a fully jointed 1/2 bird.We can turn in the bird in any shape way as long as there is no garnish in the foam box. You can not sauce or mop the bird after you cut it. A contestant supervisor will be present to verify that it is the piece of meat that they taged and to watch you carve the meat.Just wondering how ya'll do your birds.

When I cooked it, I asked that question. You will have to verify with your sponsor/supervisor on that. They wanted half birds when I cooked Houston 2 years ago. I thought I found a kink in the armour.... But it wasn't and I got smoked.

Awesome contest!!!

Just wondering how ya'll do your birds.

Basic for us. Brine chicken halves overnight and try not to dry out the breast while getting the leg and thigh to temp. And yep, no garnish. Just the sheet of foil in the box.

Saulnier, we would really like to see some pic's of how you have sliced that bird up. Sounds very interesting!

As a matter of fact I will be doing a bird on Friday afternoon. I will try to get some pis before the wife and kids get at it.

Saulnier

I'd like to see some turn in box pics of cut up whole chicken.
With my first Place finish in an Amateur division comp/cooking class, I used poultry shears and tried to keep as much skin as possible on the pieces and was able to get decent slices of breast meat with the skin. Sadly I have no pics, I was frazzled and was trying to answer questions of a local newsman, and get the box turned in on time. The comp organizers sent me a clipping from the local paper and to me it looked bad.

Back