pulled pork sammie vending.....

B

bigmeatbbq

Been kicking around the idea of vending P/P sammies this fathers day weekend during a 100 mile yardsale. It's the "More on 34" 100 mile yard sale. It runs from Sandwich, Illinois to Galesburg.
Anyway it runs through my hometown. I was thinking about serving a 4-5 ounce pulled pork sammie. I got the figures for buns, sauce, meat, wrappers, gloves, time.....etc. My question is, is there a rule of thumb when figuring out what to charge per sammie? I'm kinda figuring in the 3 to 4 dollar range. Any thoughts, ideas or experience will be greatly appreciated.

I'd say bump it up by a dollar... And have some ice cold soda sitting next to it for another dollar...

I would go with Sampson. Some say 3x your cost others less. What is your time worth is what it really boils down to.

5$ would be my recommendation. Easy and round number. If you think it is too expensive, add in a home made lemonaide or iced tea as part of the combo. Makes making change real easy and 5$ for a tasty home made sammy is a bargain.

I'd say 5 bucks too. The lemonade and tea idea is good too, but then you are needing to buy cups etc. I'd say make the bulk of the profit on the sammies and offer no name brands sodas or water for 50 cents or brand name stuff at a dollar and still come out ahead by a little bit on the drinks. Even something like chips or a cookie on the side to entice buyers. I haven't been to a fair, bazaar, festival in a long time that had any concessions for under 5 dollars. Even things like simple hotdogs go for close to 5.

I saw a special on that yard sale. Boy, I would love to experience it. Lot's of cool stuff for sale. Good luck.
Have your smoker or a grill out there just to spew out smoke. A smokey pit and smell attracts people.

Don't forget if you are planning for around Father's Day. Most Grocery stores at least around here, put things like sodas, and such on sale for less than $1.00 per item. I love the discount sections.

$ 5 sounds about right-depending on cost & labor. we stock up on sodas & bottled water @ sam's and sell them for a buck apiece.

not sure about the price, but the first time i potsed i was going to sell something i got attacked on here about the health department and insurance all that.

I'm county health compliant. called my friend, the health inspector. If its only a one or two day vend, no permit or inspection nessessary. I got a county health and sanitation certificate so I was told I'm good to go. A family I know owns a steakhouse here in town. The place used to be a very bad BBQ joint. They still got the two Southern Pride rotisserie smokers in the wall and I was told that I can use them to smoke my shoulders. They also have several electric food holders I can use so holding temps should not be a problem.
I think I'm going to go with sammie and pickle for $4.00 add a soda for a buck. My wife convinced me to donate a portion of each sale to the local American Cancer Society's Relay For Life. So, I am going to do that.

cool, mon

i didn't want to come off sounding like a lecture, but it's really for your own protection in this sue happy society.

sounds like it's going to work out just fine and the donation thing is very admirable. good luck!

Donating a part of your sale is a class act bigmeat. Relay for Life is a great cause. I hope you sella thousand!!

I would say four dollars sounds better and they can square it off with a drink for a fiver.

Is it possible to hang a sign saying part of the proceeds will be donated?

Signage is already in the works. I love living in a small town. Called the local sign painter and since it was for Relay For Life he's donating a double sided 2' x 3' sign. There really are good people left in this world. I'm beginning to get the spirit of giving myself.

Now that's what I'm talkin bout!

I would also put out a tip jar. Be sure to put a couple of 1s, a five and some loose change in it to start with. That way people know what to put in it.

Back