side bets?

watg?

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
After seeing the interest in the Rib side bet at Salisbury this past weekend, I wonder if more teams would be interested in this action. I have a friend that fishes in off shore contests and many times the side bets or calcuttas are as big as the regular pot. The rib bet in Salisbury was $20. Using that figure, do you think there would be any interest in tossing in $100 per team, for all 5 catagories at $20 each? (chicken,ribs,pork,brisket,overall) You could even let individual team members enter a catagory for your team, if they toss up the $20, they keep the loot if you win the side bet. Think about it, Salisbury had 83 teams, if 75 teams get in, that would be an addition $1500 to the winner in each catagory, that might buy a couple of tanks of gas! I know it would be a pain for someone to keep track of, but maybe the organizing team would get a free entry to the side bet to ease the pain of keeping track of everything. Just a thought. And no I am not volunteering to be the collection man at the next contest.:eusa_clap Thanks Michele!:-D

I like that! That looks like a twist that makes this hobby this much more fun! Its already an expensive hobby to do, why not make more expensive for some, and less expensive for others!

do you think there would be any interest in tossing in $100 per team, for all 5 catagories at $20 each? (chicken,ribs,pork,brisket,overall) You could even let individual team members enter a catagory for your team, if they toss up the $20, they keep the loot if you win the side bet.

After spending $600 in gas for Salisbury an extra $100 for a side bet seems steep to me. (Granted I spent $110 just for Tequila). If it was an all five thing I'd be in for $50 but I'm not sure about $100. We spent $1400 this weekend and didn't get a top 3 call in anything. That means we would have spent an extra $100 and still walked away empty handed.

After seeing the interest in the Rib side bet at Salisbury this past weekend, I wonder if more teams would be interested in this action.

I would. I think though the administration of 4 individual categories plus overall would be a bit much. I would definitely be in for $50 on highest overall score, maybe $100.

A lot of cook offs we do Calcutta's and some side action on who hit the highest in a categories sometimes makes for some great fun and money

I think the side bets are great but hate when they get to big. $20 is almost harmless and fun. I like keeping it to one category(any category) Overall might be tough for some. With one category it makes it anybody's game.My .02

My thoughts were you could enter 1 or all 5, $20 or $100, what ever was your pleasure, or none at all. I was just thinking outloud, and I know that is trouble!

My thoughts were you could enter 1 or all 5, $20 or $100, what ever was your pleasure, or none at all. I was just thinking outloud, and I know that is trouble!

Shouldn't you be thinking about chicken ? :twisted:

The three of us really nailed the 45-49 place chicken... good thing there wasn't a bet in that category.

We did a one category side bet at our contest this past weekend but all of the proceeds went to the charity.

We ocassionally do side bets... usually something other than $$ -- Todd and I usually have running bets with Grey Goose involved. Heck I forget where we are on that run!!

My Cousin's FUBAR-B-Q team wanted a rib challenge. The winner gets a frozen bottle of Crown at the GAB. Loser serving the winner thier first shot. Did I mention I am going to love getting that first shot :)

Are you suggesting we GAMBLE I can not believe I am hearing this. How could you birng this up with 4.00 diesel. I am shocked. It's a gamble just being on the nations highways.

I suggested a little calcutta just about lost my life!

be thankful you are only paying 4 bucks a gallon. Its 4.50 a gallon out here in San Diego, and it will be 5 bucks a gallon by July 4th.

Are you suggesting we GAMBLE I can not believe I am hearing this. How could you birng this up with 4.00 diesel. I am shocked. It's a gamble just being on the nations highways.

I suggested a little calcutta just about lost my life!

Notley Que stopped by? Wow!

Next thing you know gstanle might drop in...

George ya want to put something together for Chesapeake? If so we're in. We came in late and got busy so we forgot in Salisbury.

Tom

George ya want to put something together for Chesapeake? If so we're in. We came in late and got busy so we forgot in Salisbury.

Tom

Al Czervik: I'll bet you a hundred bucks you slice it into the woods.
Judge Smails: Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.
[Swings club, slices ball into woods]
Judge Smails: *Damn*.
Al Czervik: OK, you can owe me.
Judge Smails: I owe you nothing.

Gambling is illegal at Chesapeake Tom, (we'll see if there are any other players when we get there):lol:

Ford, you make a good point.(and I like the quote)

George-

I was thinking that the side betting was a good idea too. I'd be in for one in the future but my tollerance is usually somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 total rather than $100

Michele, I wouldn't worry about it. You did a good job at Salisbury, even if I did just throw that $ away. I'll most likely get in on the next one that is available.

After some discussion (since deleted to maintain the current thread), in this thread, about minor wagers and where the proceeds go....

Keep it reasonable, use your common sense, and have fun.

Phil, aka the 'Poohba' is the source.

Back