• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Holding Brisket

Pitbull

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How long do you think a tightly wrapped uncarved brisket can be held at 135'-140', without loosing any of its quality/taste?

i would guess about 6 hours if its reheated to 140. i would be afraid they would start to dry out.

but if you mean a just cooked one, pulled at 190+, wrapped, coolered and then maintained once it reached 140. I would say 12+ hours.

i have had 2 briskets just pulled from the pit and sit in a cooler overnight and 8 hours later, they were at 143.

Yep
In competition I have been known to pull and wrap my brisket at 170 and hold it there for 4-6 hours and then amp it up to 195 prior to turn-in.
excellent results

Your question, un-cut whole wrapped pulled at 190+
Use a mfg. holding box and expect 15+ hrs but will dry.

Put some towels in the cooler and pour a small amount of near boiling water on them, this will help the food hold.

i would guess about 6 hours if its reheated to 140.

I must correct you, only because we are in the food safety section. When reheating, you must bring it to 165 before holding at 140.

Back to the original questionwrapped and uncut? A good bit of time, but as time goes on the juices will seperate from the meat. Make sure to save all that juice and let the slices lay in it if serving at that point.

you can hold for 8 hours in cooler and blankets it came in 5 place now i hold them 6 to 8 all the time

Just a thought for added insulation, especially if in a cool climate, is you could also wrap the cooler with a welding blanket or 2. They are cheap and would help trap more heat in. I would think they would stay at safe temps for longer than you would need, if you are like me and prefer to err on the side of overkill.

Anything you can do to add to the thermal mass at the the temperature range you want to hold the briskets at will help-- for instance a couple of firebricks wrapped in foil heated to 180 or so will help keep the environment toasty for the beef longer. I usually fill any air gaps with newspaper, towels or an old sweatshirt. The less empty space in the cooler or holding box-type thing, the better.

Towels and cooler have worked fine for me, get hours and hours out of it. Got a brisket wrapped up in the cooler right now.

Back