cooking grate material

S

Smokin Diablo

Greatings from the Soy City, it was 70 degrees yesterday and it barely made it to 36 today. I am doing some winter repair on my smoker and am having a hard time finding the cooking grid / grate material for my cook top. I have a very large barrel smoker with a 3 foot by 5 foot cooking surface. Any one got any ideas whats the best and where to get it? Right now I have 1/8 inch think black iron diamond pattern grid that has seen its better days and then some.

Smokin Diablo said:
Greatings from the Soy City, it was 70 degrees yesterday and it barely made it to 36 today. I am doing some winter repair on my smoker and am having a hard time finding the cooking grid / grate material for my cook top. I have a very large barrel smoker with a 3 foot by 5 foot cooking surface. Any one got any ideas whats the best and where to get it? Right now I have 1/8 inch think black iron diamond pattern grid that has seen its better days and then some.

Check with your local steel recycling center. I'm guessing that you have expando with the raised pattern instead of the flat. I prefer stainless steel over carbon steel, but a piece that large is going to be pricy. You could go with a lighter gage, but you would have to add some supports underneath which makes cleaning tougher.

Back