• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Toy! A mini review with lots of pictures

Nice toy Ron. I just had to replace all the burners and drip guards on my gasser this year. It wasn't cheap when I bought it, but it's turned into a rust bucket on the inside. The outside is still pretty looking stainless. I replaced the burners and plates with stainless, but what they attach to is almost gone. It's good to see that someone is putting stainless where it counts. Happy cooking!

Ok, so I'm confused. I always thought the whole infrared was electric basically ... so it's a gasser?

How does it "work" then?

That looks like a nice gasser, Ron. I got rid of my 9 year old Genesis last year and haven't missed it, but I still appreciate nice gassers that looks like a very nice grill and great grub. What time do you want me to be over on Friday? :becky:

And every time I see your avatar I think of Larry from Veggietales as a pirate.

Char-Broil does make some electric infrared grills...

http://www.charbroil.com/grills/electric-grills.html

the Patio Bistro line are billed as electric infrared grills.

Here is a decent explanation about infrared grills. Every manufacturer has their own system, however.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/infrared-grill.htm

Yep. After posting I found an electric version of the Big Easy too, but I think those two models are it. The second link is a nifty little article.

$999

Not cheap, but in the same range as the Weber stainless Genesis and less than the Weber Summit line.

The Saber Cast 500 P is $799 (I think) but doesn't have as much stainless and no side burner.

https://www.sabergrills.com/product/5000/SABER-Cast-500-P.aspx

There are also two burner versions available.

My Summit is SS. If I had that to do over again, I would prefer to go with one of the porcelain-enameled colors just because it is easier to keep good looking. As slow-smoker said, what is important is that they put the SS on the right parts on the inside. Replacing parts on a gasser is not a cheap proposition.

My Summit is SS. If I had that to do over again, I would prefer to go with one of the porcelain-enameled colors just because it is easier to keep good looking. As slow-smoker said, what is important is that they put the SS on the right parts on the inside. Replacing parts on a gasser is not a cheap proposition.

My comp cookers are stainless (FEC-100 and Memphis Pro). We just use a stainless cleaner like Simple Green and they stay like new.

Nice new grill Ron. I use my now 15 year old gas grill like an outdoor kitchen.

IMG_3061.jpg

It's has rotisserie infrared heater

IMG_3347.jpg

It's an oven

IMG_3462.jpg

a stove

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

a table / prep area

IMG_3696_zps2b1df278.jpg

and a griddle

IMG_3426.jpg

It makes my patio life much easier.

All the best to you and your new gasser. I love mine too! I wouldn't know how else to light my chimney with the side burner on it! :razz: As Guerre mentioned, you're on a Kaiser!

Why would you ruin a perfectly good burger by putting that green slimy stuff on there??:p

I like your new weapon, though. Nice!

Fark those burgers look tasty! I have a Weber Genesis Silver B that I "need" to get rid of and maybe i will get one of these Sabers ;)

I sure am glad you were wearing shorts when you took those pictures - :shocked:.
Just saying.
Julie

So Ron, being a fellow FEC-100 owner, I have to ask why you didn't go with a PG-500 or 1000 versus going gas?

I'm not hatin' on the gasser btw. I may own one again one day, but IMHO I feel with my PG-500 I get the best of both worlds. Convenience of gas, flavor of pellets, ability to smoke low n' slow or sear the hell out of a steak.

Just curious...

So Ron, being a fellow FEC-100 owner, I have to ask why you didn't go with a PG-500 or 1000 versus going gas?

I'm not hatin' on the gasser btw. I may own one again one day, but IMHO I feel with my PG-500 I get the best of both worlds. Convenience of gas, flavor of pellets, ability to smoke low n' slow or sear the hell out of a steak.

Just curious...

Fair question, Jason. Part of it was cost, part availability. The PG500 is $1600 and isn't available locally, so shipping would add to that. But, the cooking surface of the 500 is smaller than I wanted. Most of the time it is just two of us, but I tend to cook more than we need and use the extra later in the week or vac-u-suck for the freezer. The 1000 is a better size, but it is much more expensive.

I did think about a pellet grill and used my Memphis Pro on the deck all winter, but now it's in the comp trailer. I would love another Memphis Pro but that was out of the price range, too. The Saber seemed like a good choice, and my wife was comfortable with it, too, so she can use it when I am out of town.

Good answers. I didn't realize the PG-500 had gone up that much. I got an uber end-of-year deal I guess.

At any rate, happy grilling on that thing. I'm sure it will turn out LOTS of great food.

Back