• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comp pork tenderness scores

Some of the newer judges, believe it or not, arent that familiar with BBQ. Some of them think the bark represents burnt pork...even the good bark.

Every competition is different. First, I suggest seeking out those with 100% CBJ's. Also, to some degree, sanctioning bodies, as their certification processes can be different. Where I'm heading is that the contests with 100% CBJ's will have more seasoned CBJ's and they'll appreciate a better bark, as long as it's not tough, chewey, or actually burnt.

As a judge (and cook) I realize that the bark us "usually" a bit dryer and tougher than the inner portions of the pork, so I concentrate more of my Tenderness score on the inner and then the Taste score on overall how the bark and inner comes together. One suggestion: DON'T OVERSAUCE the pork!!! Judges are looking for pork flavor along with the bark and sauce and smoke. I've had some pork that was so drenched in sauce that you could not taste any pork flavor at all. I know that this question is on tenderness, but I felt compelled to throw in the Taste as well.

Thanks guys. I normally include bark and I love it but I thought maybe the whole cooking at home vs comp pork might be causing lower tenderness scores. I've read on here that if your brisket has bark on it then it will get scored down on tenderness so I thought maybe it would apply to pork also.

Back